alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Well the OC'ing bug bit me again. It hadn't been around for quite a while... not since the days of the TBirds. But when I got my brother a new NForce2 board and OC'd his TBred oooooh so easily... well I just couldn't help but order an unlocking kit and give a wack at my older Palomino. I knew that the Palominos aren't the best overclockers, but I had to prove it to myself. Anyway, the result of my efforts... corrupted file{s} on my main disk. I must say this is the first time I got corrupted files from OC'ing, though I have heard of it before.

Well here is the file that is faulty: \windows\system32\config\system

Yes, it looks bad doesn't it? I am running WinXP Pro. Is there a way to find this file somewhere(cd perhaps?) and just copy it over using the repair mode? I can't try ASR right now because I never made one of those emergency floppies. (come on, who actually did that?) I can always do a clean install since most of my data is on a secondary disk, but I haaaaaate installing everything all over again. Any suggestions guys?

Thanks!

You need to run the repair feature, not the restore feature to fix this problem, you can only access the repair feature through booting from the CDROM just like you're going to reinstall from scratch, but before you get to the Format Disk option screen you'll get to a screen with a Repair Existing System Option, select that and the repair will begin, it will repair the XPs system files and leave your other files in tact.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

TRENDING THREADS