deleting files

I have recently installed XP, used to have ME. I am trying to clean up my C
drive by getting rid of folders that are not necessary. I have noticed that
the first things listed when I open C / Windows are a bunch of folders named
"$NtUnistallKb then a set of numbers followed by $" . Inside most of these
folders are what looks to be duplicates of each other named "spuninst". Are
these files okay to delete? What are these folders for and why do they use a
name starting with a dollar sign?
Thank you.
H.B.
2 answers Last reply
More about deleting files

    These folder allow you to restore damaged files that were installed during various updates to Windows

    Show updates in Add/Remove - select the Show updates check box (at the top of the list),
    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "H.B." <hblair@sktc.net> wrote in message news:ekSl2MuMFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >I have recently installed XP, used to have ME. I am trying to clean up my C drive by getting rid of folders that are not necessary.
    >I have noticed that the first things listed when I open C / Windows are a bunch of folders named "$NtUnistallKb then a set of
    >numbers followed by $" . Inside most of these folders are what looks to be duplicates of each other named "spuninst". Are these
    >files okay to delete? What are these folders for and why do they use a name starting with a dollar sign?
    > Thank you.
    > H.B.

    Removing Old Windows Updates:-
    Folders that have uninstall as part of the name (for example $NtUninstallKB282010$
    which reside in C:\windows (hidden folders) are Window Hot Fix Update folders/files)
    can be safely deleted (providing you never wish to uninstall the updates). I would
    recommend leaving these folders for a period of at least a month to make sure the
    update is working correctly.

    These updates can be deleted individually or in multiples. To find out more about the
    update/s go to:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=XXXXXX
    NB: XXXXXX = the actual number not including the "Q" or "KB"

    Once you have deleted the uninstall folders/files, then go to Control Panel,
    Add/Remove Programs. Select the matching Windows Hotfix Title relating the update
    folder/file you have just deleted and select remove. You will get a Windows error.
    This is because you have deleted the uninstall folder/files. Just choose OK and the
    entry will be deleted from the Add/Remove Programs Listing.

    If you prefer see:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
    Removes Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry entries.

    "H.B." <hblair@sktc.net> wrote in message
    >I have recently installed XP, used to have ME. I am trying to clean up my C drive by
    >getting rid of folders that are not necessary. I have noticed that the first things
    >listed when I open C / Windows are a bunch of folders named "$NtUnistallKb then a
    >set of numbers followed by $" . Inside most of these folders are what looks to be
    >duplicates of each other named "spuninst". Are these files okay to delete? What are
    >these folders for and why do they use a name starting with a dollar sign?
    > Thank you.
    > H.B.

Windows XP