Sign in with
Your question

Can't get AGP 4X to work??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2003 3:49:29 PM

Just installed a GeForce4 Ti4200 8X AGP card in my ASUS CUSL2-C mobo. The motherboard documentation says that it supports AGP2X and 4X, so I just figured that the card would run at 4X. However, when I look at the Nvidia control panel, it says that it is at 2X AGP bus speed.

In the BIOS, there is an option for 2X or 4X, which I obviously have at 4X. There are no AGP voltage settings in the BIOS. There is a jumper on the mother board to select 3.3V, 3.4V, and 3.6V for VIO. Documentation says this provides voltage to the DRAM, Chipset, AGP and PCI... I thought AGP4X was 1.5V???

Feeling stupid here, any help would be appreciated...

I have the newest BIOS for the CUSL2-C that I can find.

1.4GHz Tualatin
350W PSU
512MB PC133 SDRAM
Win XP Pro
SoundBlaster 512 PCI

More about : agp work

November 13, 2003 2:20:20 AM

bump??
November 13, 2003 2:22:10 AM

Hmmm, just after I bumped, I decided to check again and now its reporting 4X....

Gotta love computers... :eek: 
Related resources
November 13, 2003 3:15:40 AM

Okay, so here is what I figured out. Note that I am not overclocking the graphics card...YET!

I had reset my FSB back to 100MHz (1.4MHz Tualatin), because I was having some other problems.

I ran Aquamark3 just for curiosity and scored less than I had in the past. Looked at the scores and realized that my CPU score was around 350 points lower than before and remembered that I had not re-overclocked.

So I set the FSB back up to 110MHz (can't get much more than that out the Tualatin), and run Aquamark again...my score is 3000+ points lower!!! So I go and check the AGP bus, and it is back at 2X.

Reset my FSB to 100 and I'm back at 4X....

Any ideas??? Does this mean that in order to get the advantages of 4X AGP I can't overclock the CPU??

I realize that my 10MHz FSB overclock is not very significant, and the 3000+ increase in Aquamark obviously outweighs any increase that the CPU overclock gives....but we all want to have our cake.

If it matters, the only voltage change I make to overclock is to increase the core voltage from 1.5V to 1.6V.
November 13, 2003 7:10:13 AM

There is a glitch with those boards. I have the same problem with my asus cusl2 board. There is a fix that was a little above my computer expertise. I think crashman new the fix, but it may not even be worth the effort.
November 13, 2003 3:47:06 PM

Thanks, I'll do some more research.
November 13, 2003 4:35:20 PM

Thanks for steering me in the right direction mattburklund, I believe I have found what I need. I'll have to try it out when I am home.

And thanks (again) to Crashman, your answers in the archive helped with out you even being here this time :cool: :smile:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spitoon on 11/13/03 11:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2003 9:38:21 PM

Speeds between 110 and 133MHz result in AGP at 2x mode and your RAM timings set slower. There is a software patch that you can use to modify the BIOS settings at bootup automatically. I have it. You probably won't find it anywhere else.

At 133MHz it goes back to normal until you get up to around 145MHz.

You should have bought a 1.1GHz Tualatin and overclocked it to 133MHz bus/1466MHz. It would have offered better performance than a 1.4 even at 1600MHz. Why? These processors are severly handicaped by bus speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 14, 2003 3:25:24 PM

Thanks Crashman,

I may yet look for a 1.1GHz Tualatin. My 1.4GHz Tualatin wont POST at 133MHz FSB, in fact I have problems even at 114MHz FSB.

I found two different utilities for fixing the BIOS settings at www.x86-secret.com. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, one is an actual BIOS that I would have to flash, and the other is an .exe that installs the changes. The BIOS is Version 1012 beta 002, while the version I have currently installed is 1014...can't remember where I found that one. I don't mind rolling back to an 'older' BIOS if it means that I will be able make use of the advantages in the 1012 version.
!