ISTsvc

Using WindowsXP, IE and OE. I have ISTsvc on my computer in C:\Program
Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe. Each time I run Adaware or Spybot, I am told I
have this virus. I tell Adaware and Spybot to remove it, which they do, but
the next time I run either Adaware or Spybot, ISTsvc is back again. How do
I permanently eliminate this virus?
3 answers Last reply
More about istsvc

    Symantec Security Response - Adware.Istbar
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.istbar.html

    ISTBar
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/istbar/index.phtml

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eUdCg$vMFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    inez <inez@DoNotCall> hunted and pecked:
    > Using WindowsXP, IE and OE. I have ISTsvc on my computer in
    > C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe. Each time I run Adaware or
    > Spybot, I am told I have this virus. I tell Adaware and Spybot to
    > remove it, which they do, but the next time I run either Adaware or
    > Spybot, ISTsvc is back again. How do I permanently eliminate this
    > virus?

    Thanks for this reply but I still have problems. I ran the Symantec
    Security Response - Adware.Istbar and Symantec says: Adware.Istbar has not
    been found on your computer.

    I also ran Spybot and it says:
    Error during check! Xuron55.Installdollars (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann
    nicht geoffnet werden.)

    ISearchTech.lPowerScan Setting: HKEY.........\Software\IST

    I ran Ad-Aware SE and it says:
    Dyfuca RegKey Malware HKey_Users.........\Software\ist\
    Dyfuca RegValue Malware HKey_Users.......\ist"Recover"

    Then I ran Grisoft AVG Free Edition and it says:
    No Viruses found

    By now, I am confused as to who is right. Any suggestions?

    Inez

    > Symantec Security Response - Adware.Istbar
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.istbar.html
    >
    > ISTBar
    > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/istbar/index.phtml
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eUdCg$vMFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > inez <inez@DoNotCall> hunted and pecked:
    > > Using WindowsXP, IE and OE. I have ISTsvc on my computer in
    > > C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe. Each time I run Adaware or
    > > Spybot, I am told I have this virus. I tell Adaware and Spybot to
    > > remove it, which they do, but the next time I run either Adaware or
    > > Spybot, ISTsvc is back again. How do I permanently eliminate this
    > > virus?

    Inez,

    Is istsvc.exe still on your machine?

    C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe

    ISTBar is not a virus, it's a homepage and search hijacker and adware.

    Adware is any software application which displays advertisements while the
    program is running. Hijackware: applications or web sites that set user's
    default browser home page to an unwanted URL, change the default search
    engines defined within the browser to unwanted search engines and sites, or
    add unwanted toolbars and other custom plugins/add-ons to the user's browser
    and system.

    Uninstall ISTBar from Add or Remove Programs in the Windows® Control Panel.
    Look for an entry named MS AUpdate, MS Updates, XXXToolbar, ISTsvc or
    ISTBar.

    I do not use or recommend PestPatrol. I am posting this link because it has
    manual removal instructions.
    Remove ISTbar - Spyware & Adware Removal Instructions
    http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_ISTbar.html

    Error during check!: Xuron55.Installdollars (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann
    nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is
    being used by another process) ()

    Is a Spybot - S & D error not a threat detection.

    Fix here...
    http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?s=22b2f82f3f9496d59c3c244a55212285&showtopic=28756

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eEPGfK0MFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    inez <inez@DoNotCall> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for this reply but I still have problems. I ran the Symantec
    > Security Response - Adware.Istbar and Symantec says: Adware.Istbar
    > has not been found on your computer.
    >
    > I also ran Spybot and it says:
    > Error during check! Xuron55.Installdollars (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini
    > kann nicht geoffnet werden.)
    >
    > ISearchTech.lPowerScan Setting: HKEY.........\Software\IST
    >
    > I ran Ad-Aware SE and it says:
    > Dyfuca RegKey Malware HKey_Users.........\Software\ist\
    > Dyfuca RegValue Malware HKey_Users.......\ist"Recover"
    >
    > Then I ran Grisoft AVG Free Edition and it says:
    > No Viruses found
    >
    > By now, I am confused as to who is right. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Inez

    >> Symantec Security Response - Adware.Istbar

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.istbar.html

    >> ISTBar
    >> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/istbar/index.phtml
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:eUdCg$vMFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> inez <inez@DoNotCall> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Using WindowsXP, IE and OE. I have ISTsvc on my computer in
    >>> C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe. Each time I run Adaware or
    >>> Spybot, I am told I have this virus. I tell Adaware and Spybot to
    >>> remove it, which they do, but the next time I run either Adaware or
    >>> Spybot, ISTsvc is back again. How do I permanently eliminate this
    >>> virus?

Internet Explorer Virus Spybot Windows XP