Can't access display settings in Win XP SP2

I cannot access my display settings either from right-clicking and
selecting "properties", or from the control panel. Double clicking
desk.cpl does not work. I tried replacing the desk.cpl file from the
Win XP CD, did not work. I scanned my PC with norton antivirus,
adaware, and spyware search and destroy. Nothing was found. Please
make a recommendation.

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"bill clinton" <bclinton@anonymous.to> wrote in message news:1111960052.652638.94680@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>I cannot access my display settings either from right-clicking and
> selecting "properties", or from the control panel. Double clicking
> desk.cpl does not work. I tried replacing the desk.cpl file from the
> Win XP CD, did not work. I scanned my PC with norton antivirus,
> adaware, and spyware search and destroy. Nothing was found. Please
> make a recommendation.

Yes, I've read that solution in another thread. Problem is it keeps
asking for the CD which after I insert it doesn't recognize. Yes, it
is an original copy of windows.