2649 3d Marks on 9600 pro???

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I just got a Radeon 9600 pro (yay) and I previously had an Nvidia. I unistalled drivers, and I did driver cleaner, installed the ATI card, and I get 2649 in 3dmark 03, the free stuff. Now my proc is the 2.0 gig intel willemete, so I don't have a rocket, but is 3d mark that CPU intensive? I got like around 40-50 on test one, while on X-bit on highest quality they get 120. Did I not run disk cleaner correctly? Or is my proc just out of date? BTW, its SDRAM... (the horror)

Buhatma

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
Hi,
Little more info on what other equipment you have in you pc will help. My wife's pc scored 3219 3DMark 2003 with a 1600+, an old via chipset, 512 ram and a 9600 Pro.

2.8C @ 3.5 w/ slk-800u and smart fan 2, Abit IC7-G, 2 x 256mb Geil Platinum pc4000, Radeon 9700 Pro 375/335, 2 x WD Raptor in Raid 0

That seems low. And now 3Dmk03 is not CPU or even System dependant, it does mainly focus on VPU performance.

What kind of R9600Pro did you buy, that's actually more important than your system.

Also do you know what speed the VPU and memory are running at?

Also be sure to check you settings in the control panel. You want Vsync disabled, try setting Anti Aliasing to Always OFF. Howver even leaving things just at Standard settings you should be able to get closer to 3000 than you currently are.

Closer to 3000 is the norm for an R9600Pro. Take a look at my thread at the top of the forum about the Catalyst drivers. All of my scores, with a similar rig and the graphics card running at stock speeds are 3200+.

You may have a card that's not quite a pro, but does have pro in the name (we know the usual culprits).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
It is built by ATI, Radeon 9600 pro. I don't know the speed of anything, how do I check? I looked in control panel under display, and I saw the AA, it is on app preference, but I couldn't find where to disable vsync... But still, on high quality X-bit got 150 fps on the first test, I got around 40-50... It is currently running cat 3.2, so I will update to 3.8 and see if that gets an improvement. (I don't want 3.9 because there is a known issue with one of my games)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those are horrible scores. Maybe it's your crappy SDRAM?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

If you check the control panel under Direct3D, you should see some sliders. One should say 'wait for vertical sync', slide that all the way to the left (but it shouldn't make THAT much of a difference).

If you download the newer CAT 3.8 then it should have a clock rate monitor/overclocking utility built in (thanks to radlinker).

Otherwise you could download the Rage3Dtweak, PowerStrip, or RadLinker itself. All will give you clock features.

For a BBA R9600PRo, that's really a low score. Yours should be in the same are as mine, our CPU differences wouldn't account for that much in 3dmk03 which doesn't heavily rely on the CPU/Setup.

That's all I can tell you. Seriously I think your most informative step will be checking the clockrates.

Also if you could post your results we can see where you are different from the runs I have taken (didn't benchmark with 3.2 though).

<b>EDIT</b>; I almost forgot, you can check your CPU and RAM speeds by running 3Dmark and at the startup menu/toolbar under the system section click 'details' and then in the new window click on the 'expand all' which should list your Speeds in your Display Device area. If you don't click expand all then it won't show up, it'll just name your card.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 11/13/03 05:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Ok, thanks for the info. I know I should have done this at first, but I updated 3dmark and catalyst, now I got 3087 3dmarks. That is better, but is that what is normal? I'm still a good 50 fps under that 150 for game 1... On the specs, VGA Mem clock is 297 and core clock is 398.3, is that what it is supposed to be? Thanks for all the help!

Yeah those scores are better. Likely GameTest 1 IS held back by your system, it is very much like the 'old' 3Dmk01 in that respect. But heck you're still above 3000 which is where you should be.

As for the Clocks, yeah 398.3 (actually .25) and 297 is the stock speed, you can check the Catalyst review I posted the speeds there.

For making your results public, then you go to the Project Manage, go to the Active Projects you have, then check the published box. When you hit update it should now give you a Compare URL link you can cut and past.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Buhatma

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
Hi,
I have my wife's BBA 9600 Pro clocked @ 475/325 with stock cooling in a cramped case. Hope this helps some.

2.8C @ 3.5 w/ slk-800u and smart fan 2, Abit IC7-G, 2 x 256mb Geil Platinum pc4000, Radeon 9700 Pro 375/335, 2 x WD Raptor in Raid 0

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
GEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Yeah, if you compare our results, just about every other test other than GT1 is the same.

What can you EXPECT? Nothing! :wink:

What might you be surprised to find... a heck of alot.

Add to the one above here, THIS result (on stock cooling);

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=765996" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=765996</A>

Seriously I have seen alot of Overclocks all over the map. But with most BBA cards I usually see 470+/340+. And alot of us are in the 500+/350+ area (which was CasualCat's OC standard for THGC).

Whatever you get it should be seen as a bonus. I run (day to day) 456/318, just an arbitrary figure.