Removing traces of old programs

Hi,
I am a relatively new to windows XP (I used to have Windows ME)

Now, my question is:
When I open up the "Add/Remove Programs" option in the control panel, I get
a whole bunch of programs in the list, programs that I had removed many years
ago
(Things like Myst 1, Indiana Jones, etc...).
When I click to remove them, it says that either it can't do it, or removes
the program from the list, but when I turn the list back on, the program
names are there again!

Does anyone know how to remove them?

Thanks,
Gene
2 answers Last reply
More about removing traces programs

    How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add or Remove Programs Tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314481

    Lots of info on Add or Remove Programs here
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

    Remove invalid entries in Add/Remove Programs
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:FE2874F6-DA12-44B9-85BA-8A25E325C61D@microsoft.com,
    Gene <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    > I am a relatively new to windows XP (I used to have Windows ME)
    >
    > Now, my question is:
    > When I open up the "Add/Remove Programs" option in the control panel,
    > I get a whole bunch of programs in the list, programs that I had
    > removed many years ago
    > (Things like Myst 1, Indiana Jones, etc...).
    > When I click to remove them, it says that either it can't do it, or
    > removes the program from the list, but when I turn the list back on,
    > the program names are there again!
    >
    > Does anyone know how to remove them?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gene

    Hi,

    check this link:
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/windows_xp_troubleshooting.htm
    I believe question 94 will help you.

    Regards,

    Zalman

    "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> escreveu na mensagem
    > Hi,
    > I am a relatively new to windows XP (I used to have Windows ME)
    >
    > Now, my question is:
    > When I open up the "Add/Remove Programs" option in the control panel, I
    > get
    > a whole bunch of programs in the list, programs that I had removed many
    > years
    > ago
    > (Things like Myst 1, Indiana Jones, etc...).
    > When I click to remove them, it says that either it can't do it, or
    > removes
    > the program from the list, but when I turn the list back on, the program
    > names are there again!
    >
    > Does anyone know how to remove them?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gene