Windows 7 Anytime Upgrades to be Sold at Retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3nt smith

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]i wonder how much would be the upgrade from vista home premium to windows 7 home premium[/citation]

Probably 50-150 USD

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
So far i see no need to upgrade from vista home premium to windows 7,its the same beast with a new shade of lipstick.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Ogdin[/nom]So far i see no need to upgrade from vista home premium to windows 7,its the same beast with a new shade of lipstick.[/citation]

95 to 98 - 98 to XP - XP to Vista - Now Vista to win7 XD Though alot of the new versions of most sofware i use are simply that its just funny i cant wait to read all the ill stick with xp vista instead of using 7 D:

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Ogdin[/nom]So far i see no need to upgrade from vista home premium to windows 7,its the same beast with a new shade of lipstick.[/citation]

Maybe so but when the old shade of lipstick is sh*t green and the new is racecar red, I think its worth it.

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Get over yourself and your hate for vista/7.

mrfisthand

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]paranoidmage[/nom]Why would you sell such a big box if all it includes is a serial?[/citation]

How many people even buy boxed software anymore? Why is it always in such a large box when it's just a DVD and a manual? Because computers hate the earth! Haven't you seen Terminator?

PS - This article title is misleading, I thought they were planning to sell upgrades to the OS itself.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mrfisthand[/nom]How many people even buy boxed software anymore?[/citation]
I do, I don't buy anything Digitally that I can buy physically. I think it's rather silly to, especially since I reformat, upgrade, and experiment often. So it's a hassle to have to keep track of executables and serials in some folder I keep, when I can put a nice box with some nice art up on my shelf, and have a guarantee that I'll have my software/music/video when I need it.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]another set of upgrade packages.should make the buying process all the more confusing, thus sending the simple minded towards mac[/citation]

true, but i thought having a more options was something that was also positive about pc's :)

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Honestly, the only Windows 7 news of any relevance to me anymore is how much money will they charge to upgrade from Vista Home Premium.

I would pay no more than 89.00 to upgrade. Anymore more than that and forget it. I don't really need it anyways.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I wonder if there's no software, because all it really does is just unlock features that are already present in the OS. Maybe it just toggles some bit in the kernel to enable more than 3 apps to run.

If that's the case, someone will figure out how to hack it anyway. :p

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
[citation][nom]RiotSniperX[/nom]Get over yourself and your hate for vista/7.[/citation]
Get over my hate lol? I'm using vista now on all my machines and its the most stable windows os i've ever ran.I'm also running the win7 rc on my main computer and so far its been problem free. I have no complaints with 7 so far but like i said,i see no reason to jump from Vista to 7,its only minor tweaks to the vista core. But i guess these comment spots are better served by your informative posts.

G

With all the tech. that they have, they haven't figure out how to pack them in environmental friendly way. If the box only contains serial and manual, why do you need the box? What a waste......

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]mrfisthand[/nom]PS - This article title is misleading, I thought they were planning to sell upgrades to the OS itself.[/citation]
How is this title misleading? The subject here is that Microsoft might actually sell you an upgrade key to go from one version of Windows 7 to another. This is what I would call "planning to sell upgrades to the OS itself."

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
and my question is, forgive my ignoranace here, will these "upgrades" require a new install/format? If not, how stable will they be?

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]and my question is, forgive my ignoranace here, will these "upgrades" require a new install/format? If not, how stable will they be?[/citation]
From one version of win7 to another? No re-install,formatting required scook9.

In some cases they are simply removing artificial limitations of the OS. In other cases they are adding features on to it. But none of them change the core OS and they certainly don't change the file system which is about the only thing that would cause you to NEED to reformat etc.

G

Hi, just flew in (been gone-you know planetary landings, remote planet sampling, basic space travel...) anyways, whats this about Win 7? I'm using Win 15 4048 bit on a 6.27 AHz Bio Processor. Get with the times people!

Verdauga

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The only thing I would like to see, if that is their box style, would be a much more obvious wording on what the upgrade is for. IE, the from X to Y part. I work with the public every day, and sadly, people really are that dumb sometimes. Otherwise, I think it's a good idea, especially like the article said, from the lower 'models' to Home Prem.

Status
Not open for further replies.