Advice buying 9600 PRO

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
I´ve finally decided on upgrading my GeForce4 MX460, and I´ll go for a Radeon 9600 PRO or XT.

There´s still a few details though, should I go for a standard version, a 256MB RAM version, a DDR-BGA version, or maybe an Ultra (500MHz core)?

The price difference isn´t that big, so what would be the best price/performance deal? I was considering the Ultra, but then again it might be easy to overclock it to 500MHz core yourself, then the 256MB RAM might be more valuable...

I really need advice, what should I go for in the Radeon 9600 PRO or XT?

Thanks!

-------------
Pax vobiscum!

Ultra, there shouldn't be an unltra version unless it's some OEM partner name.

The R9600Pro is a great card. Try and make sure you get the 2.86ns memory. The R9600XT has alot of potential too, but early models have been hampered by 3.3ns memory. There are some Late to market ASUS' showing up with 2.86ns memory, but they are rare. Considering the current information here are your two best options.

Get and R9600Pro, which is alot cheaper than the R9600XT. Don't bother with the 256mb unless it's almost free. Also make sure that if you do get 256mb isn't cheaper/slower memory.

Second choice WAIT for a later version of the R9600XT. They may be respinning it, and likely put better memory on most boards. If they do do that, then like the FX5600Ultra Revision 2 (compared to revision 1, not the ATIs), it should be the card to get.

Personally I think the R9600Pro would be your best bet.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: