New laptop - 800 USD max

Status
Not open for further replies.

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
1. What is your budget? Maximum of 800 USD
I wanna go as low as I can without going a generation back - meaning, nothing below i5 in terms of performance.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Minimum of 15.6 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want? Don't care

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Neither, I need an "All purpose laptop"
Meaning, I don't need the computing power of a desktop but I do need it's functionality, for example a numpad.

5. How much battery life do you need? A minimum of 2 hours
I'm plugged in 99% of the time. I need a couple of hours every now and then.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Def. no games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Nothing of that sort

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? A minimum of 500 GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Nope

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? At least DVD reader

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Dell, Lenovo - Heard they were very reliable.
Toshiba - Costumer service in my country is excellent and warranty is for 3 years.

13. What country do you live in? Israel

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Must have: Numpad, BlueTooth, Wifi, at least 3 USB ports, HDMI port.

Also, I'm fairly knowledgeable with specs. as in, I will understand if you go into detailing stuff (memory voltage, sockets etc.)

To make u understand what I need in terms of computing power, I have this right now and the ONLY reason I want to replace it, is because programming with such a small screen is a nightmare:

Dell Vostro 1220

Screen: 12.1 inch
CPU: Intel Core™2 Duo T6670 @ 2.20GHz
Chipset: Intel GM45
Memory: 4GB, DDR2 800 MHz
Hard Drive: 320 GB
Graphics: Mobile Intel GMA X4500
More: Wifi, BlueTooth

Thank you :ange:

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Just go to Dell.com, or any other manufacturers website and customize a machine to your liking. You don't seem to have very specific needs for what you want to do with a laptop, so any machine would fit the bill.

HP and Dell have very good business class laptops that have the extras you want (Number pad, USB, and HDMI). Customize what you want, and place an order.

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007

You present that as a good thing but actually it's my problem - everything fits the bill and I don't know what to buy.

If I customize my own rig, will I be able to get it from the official supplier in my country?
Cause I want warranty, it's very important to me.

As long as Dell, HP or whomever officially does business in your country it does not matter if it is shipped from a local supplier or not. You will have a warranty. For example, if you configure a laptop on Lenovo's website, regardless of where you are in the world, that laptop will be configured and shipped out of China to you. Or you want walk into a local store which already carries pre-configured Lenovos or whatever brand peaks your interest.

I'm guessing they only list finished models on the local Dell site and don't really offer the chance to choose parts and services.

They're a lot more expensive over there. We see the same models starting at ~$750.

Are there any 'shopping abroad' options over there. Or someone in the US who can hook you up?

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
wow that sounds like a great deal!
They are a lot cheaper there :(

I have some relatives in the US that can help but they will have to ship it themselves - expensive right?
How much do you think it will cost to send a laptop over?

Status
Not open for further replies.