Installation ERROR, Syntax error in this manifest file: DX..

I am installing Windows XP Pro with SP2 on a new computer with a clean
installation and I get the following errors after it has loaded all the
system files and rebooted. It will not allow me to install the program in
any way.

Error: sxs.dll: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
"D:/I386/asms/52/msft/windows/net/dxmrtp/dxmrtp.man" on line 5.

Error: Instalation Failed: D:\I386\asms. Error message: Data
error(cyclic redundancy check).

The software is an OEM version I bought through ZIPZOOMFLY and has authentic
security codes, etc. I think the messages are saying that a file on the
installation disk has an error on it.
Things I have considered:
1. I have tried to make a copy of the disk to see if I could replace the
file with a new DXMRTP.MAN file, but I can't get that disk to work.
2. The original disk is in pristine condition so I don't think it is due to
a scratch.
3. I've tried using different CD and DVD drives to eliminate that error
possibility
4. I tried booting Windows XP with the 6 Boot disks and then running the
installation with my disk, that has failed to resolve the error.
5. I have only found one tech site that reported a similar error and their
solution was that they tried installing the Windows XP on the harddrive in
another system. I don't have access to another SATA compatible system, so i
can't try that.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR
HELP!

My hardware is as follows:
MB: P5AD2-E Premium
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3200826AS 200GB Serial ATA 7200RPM
CPU: Intel Pentium® 4 630 Processor Prescott 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket
775, 2MB Cache
Memory: Kingston KVR533D2N4K2/1G 1GB Kit DDR2-533 PC2-4200 Memory
Graphics: MSI NX6600GT-TD128E GeForce 6600 GT PCI Express
DVD-ROM: Pioneer DVD 16X
2 answers Last reply
More about installation error syntax error manifest file

    Your Windows XP CD is defective. Contact the seller
    and request a replacement. Microsoft does not replace
    defective OEM software.

    "Manifest Parse Invalid at the Top Level of the Document" Error Message
    When You Try to Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331881

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "NMCPATH" wrote:

    | I am installing Windows XP Pro with SP2 on a new computer with a clean
    | installation and I get the following errors after it has loaded all the
    | system files and rebooted. It will not allow me to install the program in
    | any way.
    |
    | Error: sxs.dll: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
    | "D:/I386/asms/52/msft/windows/net/dxmrtp/dxmrtp.man" on line 5.
    |
    | Error: Instalation Failed: D:\I386\asms. Error message: Data
    | error(cyclic redundancy check).
    |
    | The software is an OEM version I bought through ZIPZOOMFLY and has authentic
    | security codes, etc. I think the messages are saying that a file on the
    | installation disk has an error on it.
    | Things I have considered:
    | 1. I have tried to make a copy of the disk to see if I could replace the
    | file with a new DXMRTP.MAN file, but I can't get that disk to work.
    | 2. The original disk is in pristine condition so I don't think it is due to
    | a scratch.
    | 3. I've tried using different CD and DVD drives to eliminate that error
    | possibility
    | 4. I tried booting Windows XP with the 6 Boot disks and then running the
    | installation with my disk, that has failed to resolve the error.
    | 5. I have only found one tech site that reported a similar error and their
    | solution was that they tried installing the Windows XP on the harddrive in
    | another system. I don't have access to another SATA compatible system, so i
    | can't try that.
    |
    | DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR
    | HELP!
    |

    | My hardware is as follows:
    | MB: P5AD2-E Premium
    | HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3200826AS 200GB Serial ATA 7200RPM
    | CPU: Intel Pentium® 4 630 Processor Prescott 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket
    | 775, 2MB Cache
    | Memory: Kingston KVR533D2N4K2/1G 1GB Kit DDR2-533 PC2-4200 Memory
    | Graphics: MSI NX6600GT-TD128E GeForce 6600 GT PCI Express
    | DVD-ROM: Pioneer DVD 16X

    Thanks for your reply, just thought I'd find out if there were any other
    solutions before I sent the disk back for a replacement.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Your Windows XP CD is defective. Contact the seller
    > and request a replacement. Microsoft does not replace
    > defective OEM software.
    >
    > "Manifest Parse Invalid at the Top Level of the Document" Error Message
    > When You Try to Install Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331881
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch