.exe files won't open

Hello Folks,
I've got a problem with all of my .exe files.
I can't get any of them to open.
That's the desktop files, the 'All Programs' files and
any files on any of my hard drives with an .exe extension.
The computer boots up as normal and everything else is
accessible; clipart, music etc.
All the files with an .exe extension now have an .lnk
extension.
I've obviously got corruption or missing systemfiles
somewhere, other than that I'm stuck.
I tried to upgrade with the Windows XP Home disk but
again I couldn't start the installation.
Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance.

Can't open EXE files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp

Windows XP File Association Fixes