how to further compress avi files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got some anime that are in avi format. I'm trying to compress them a little so that i can fill one full cd. At the moment i can only fit in 3 files but it covers only 500+MB of a 700MB disc. Can anyone suggest any software to do this? I want to be able to watch them of the cd so zipping is out of the question.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Video zipping is terrible anyway, good call to stay away from it

I'd just take VirtualDub and mess around with different codes (divx, xvid, etc) and see which one offers the best quality/size

Also, if you're short 50 megs or so, you could go a little drastic and chop off the opening theme if you had to, or the credits. Personally, I could not do that, I'm way too anal about my videos

It's all good ^_^

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Video zipping is terrible anyway, good call to stay away from it

I'd just take VirtualDub and mess around with different codes (divx, xvid, etc) and see which one offers the best quality/size

Also, if you're short 50 megs or so, you could go a little drastic and chop off the opening theme if you had to, or the credits. Personally, I could not do that, I'm way too anal about my videos

It's all good ^_^

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've tried it but so far i've only succeeded in ruining the picture quality and increasing the size. the files are already in avi but i want to reduce their sizes by about a couple megs each.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you trying to get 4 files that are just slightly over 175MB each on a 700 MB disk? Look into the Nandub modification of Virtual Dub. Nandub has a built in file size calculator that lets you pick a final file size. If your finished files are ending up the same size or bigger you might turn down the resolution a few notches.

If you only need to save a few MB you might try to re-encode only the audio. Many times audio will take up way more room then needed. Vog-orbis is great for getting audio down to the bare minimum. You could do a direct stream copy on the video (no change) and reprocess audio with a lower bit rate mp3 or mp3 vbr or vog-orbis and save a few MB while leaving the video portion unchanged.

The bad news is that if the originals were done correctly you will not be able to get much smaller without loosing a lot of quality. Good news is most stuff floating around is not done so perfect so their might be room for improvment. One huge error is to make a copy higher res then the original source. Big boo boo. NO way a copy can be better then an original.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also if you are only a few MB short you can try to "overburn" or purchase a higher cap CDR.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hi thanks for the suggestion. sorry bout the late reply but my computer was down. I'll try your suggestions when i get my pc running again. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.