cannot connect to internet through application hyperlink

Todd

I recently upgraded from 98se to XP Home edition. I can open IE6 and surf the
web but when I try to use a hyperlink to the net I get a message saying it
can't find an internet connection. (i.e. click to "activate" XP or for an
application to look for an update.)

I open explorer without a problem and try again but it still doesn't work. I
have removed and added IE without luck.

What am I missing?

Go to Start/Run, and type: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL Then open IE, Tools menu, Options, Program Tab, and click the "Reset Web Settings"
button.

the netsh command in SP2 can rebuild your Winsock. Open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset , then press ENTER.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509