USB2 has changed to USB1

Hi

Bizarrely, the standard USB2 ports on my PC have converted to USB1.1 it
would appear. How do I know this? USB2 devices such as my iPod dont work, and
data transfer rates are slow.

I havent changed my computers config, and it seemed to occur overnight. I do
recall my PC crashing then rebooting, but that's about it.

I guess I'm looking for some help to get windows seeing the ports as USB2
again. I know XP Professional SP2 enables USB2 support, but I already have it
installed. Can I reinstall it?

thanks, L

My external usb HD and usb memory-stick did not work anymore but after
this procedure everything was going again!

Thanks and regards
Dorothy

"londonboy" <londonboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your message
>
> I tried this, the machine did not ask for the windows CD when it rebooted
> and sadly, it didnt work - when I plugged my iPod and digital camera into
> the
> USB ports, they were not recognised. When I go into Device Manager, the
> ipod
> shows up as 'Unknown Device'
>
> Do you have any other ideas? I'd rather not spend money on a new USB PCI
> card!
> thanks

Try reinstalling your MB USB2 drivers. They may be separate or part of the
main .inf for the board. In Control Panel, right click on the USB controller
and then click on update drivers and point them to the MB CD. It should find
them. If you have installed updated drivers from the MB's manufacturer (or
computer manufacturer's site like Dell, HP etc) just reinstall them per
instructions. It seems you now have no drivers for the USB2 ports. XP will
cover some, but not nearly all USB2.0 controllers. Good luck.

Ed