AGP 4x/8x

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
I´m getting a 256MB Radeon 9600XT, but my old Asus A7S333 mainboard doesn´t support 8xAGP, only 4x. How much of a performance drop should I expect?

I´ll be upgrading my CPU, RAM and mainboard within the next 3 months, but I´d just like to know what to expect when my new card arrives this week.

My system: XP 2400+, 512MB PC2700.

-------------
Pax vobiscum!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Expect a performance drop of 0%. AGP8x doesn't offer any performance advantage with current hardware and programs. New performance standards are always released before they are needed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Relax... its only in rare instances that the bandwidth of AGP4x is maxxed out.

I have a KT333 mobo thats only 4X and a R9800pro... and its blisteringly fast in all games. :smile:

<b>Lead me not into temptation.
I know the way myself. :evil:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
This is even more true because you have a 256mb card. Just like AGP 8x isn't much (if any) advantage over AGP 4x, 256mb dosn't have much (if any) advantage over 128mb (currently). This will change pretty soon though. But theoretically, 8x vs. 4x makes even LESS of a difference if you have a 256mb vs. a 128mb card, because the only time its gonna make a difference is if ur swapping textures and junk on the fly cause it won't all fit on the card.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Thanks for all the info, guys!

I know the 256MB of memory won´t do much right now, but the Sapphire 9600XT I ordered was VERY cheap. The price is the same as other 9600 PRO´s with only 128MB of memory, so I couldn´t turn down the offer, getting the XT AND 256MB of memory.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

-------------
Pax vobiscum!