Getting an online certificate

EchoedTruth

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hey all,

I am aiming to get a Computer Information Management undergraduate certificate from Ashworth College ( ashworthcollege.edu ) as I want something on my resume that shows I have some IT education experience (as opposed to my significant but not very long IT work history). I'm just looking for opinions on this. Would have that cert on my resume help in y'alls opinion? Or would it look bad as it is from an online school? Not sure what route to take as I want a formal IT education, but I'm not signing up for another undergrad degree (already have an AB from UGA).

Thanks!

jamesjocky

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Do you want a career with a future? You should add regular updates to your skills and knowledge. Unless, you have already decided that your current skills and job are good enough for your future.

Knowledge is power, especially in the current job market. Documentation of your skills enables you to move upwards in your organization.

Getting a certificate proves your commitment to upgrade your skills, gives you the credibility needed for more responsibilities, larger projects, and a higher salary.

In addition, documented knowledge is often the key factor when hiring new personnel. Your certificate might advance your career or help you to start a new one.

Also have in mind that employees with certifications increase their company's chances of retaining old and getting new customers. You will do your company a favor getting certified. Expect your company to support you in this.

wsarah

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
You should know what your options are within the field and then start tracing an educational path towards each. I think you should spend time thinking about what all you're interested in and then seeing what your options are. I decided on a career as a computer technician after reading about the salary! (http://www.careerstep.com/computer-technician-salary). Similarly, I'd suggest reading a bit more about your options and what the future might look like for you.