How to get rid of Firewire icon in 8400 system tray?

The computer was shipped with a Firewire port in Network Connections
and a dial-up icon on the system tray with a red X through it. I
ordered Firewire for a digital camera; I'm certain it's not a network
device. Is there a reason to have the IEEE 1394 port shown as a
network connection? If not, how do I get rid of it?
--David

David Ellis wrote:
> The computer was shipped with a Firewire port in Network Connections
> and a dial-up icon on the system tray with a red X through it. I
> ordered Firewire for a digital camera; I'm certain it's not a network
> device. Is there a reason to have the IEEE 1394 port shown as a
> network connection? If not, how do I get rid of it?
> --David

Device Manager: disable the 1394 network connection only. For the
dial-up icon, remove the connection.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

David Ellis wrote:

> The computer was shipped with a Firewire port in Network Connections
> and a dial-up icon on the system tray with a red X through it. I
> ordered Firewire for a digital camera; I'm certain it's not a network
> device. Is there a reason to have the IEEE 1394 port shown as a
> network connection? If not, how do I get rid of it?

Windows (XP, anyway) considers Firewire ports network adapters, so I
don't think you can eliminate them from Network Connections. To kill the
icon in SysTray:

Network Connections

Right click the 1394 adapter

Uncheck "Show icon in notification area when connected"