Best Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I'm looking for a gaming laptop to replace my current rig.
I'm looking for performance at a good price. I have been looking at the Asus G74sx, the MSI 780R and the Clevo P270WM.
I do a lot gaming, and a lot of video editting, programming and multitasking, BUT I don't want to be spending huge money for it.
I would like something that would perform up to par and not be over killed with power that I won't realistically ever use. I don't want to waste my money on something and never end up using it to its full potential. However I have always been drawn in to the best of the best.
Please give me some ideas to keep my open minded, I live in New Zealand atm, I'm moving to Canada later this year, but hope to find a solid laptop before I move.
My requirements are:
-High end graphics card (Atleast a GTX 560m or 570m, I prefer Nvidia)
-High end CPU (atleast a solid i5)
-Lots of HDD Space, and an SSD (I was leaning towards the P270WM simply because it has room for 3 HDDs and an optical drive)
-Atleast 8gb ram, preferably 16gb
-Blu-ray and full HD 3D screen would be great!
-A decent battery life (atleast 2 hours)
-upgradable (not just RAM)
-A very very good cooling system!
-Atleast 4 USB ports (2.0 and 3.0)
-A good sound system (I will most likely use a headset, but I do want solid speakers)
-A long life (I want to keep it without a desktop for a good 2-3 years)

Thanks for your time :)

Solution
If the OP is not concerned with portability and doesn't really care about the aesthetics, I think the M17X should be a good choice..

I am exactly in the same road as him and after careful considerations(which included hours of watching and reading benchmark tests) I have decided to opt the MSI GT780DXR. The sound quality in this laptop has received positive remarks and the cooling systems seems to be top notch.

But I'm still wondering whether to buy it or wait for the next generation of MSI G series laptops with Ivy Bridge CPUs and Kepler GPUs... specifically the 680M(the 670M seems to be just a rebranded version of 570M)...

Also, keep an eye out of the new Samsung 7 series Gamer laptops, which come in two variants, the one...

richworks

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
If the OP is not concerned with portability and doesn't really care about the aesthetics, I think the M17X should be a good choice..

I am exactly in the same road as him and after careful considerations(which included hours of watching and reading benchmark tests) I have decided to opt the MSI GT780DXR. The sound quality in this laptop has received positive remarks and the cooling systems seems to be top notch.

But I'm still wondering whether to buy it or wait for the next generation of MSI G series laptops with Ivy Bridge CPUs and Kepler GPUs... specifically the 680M(the 670M seems to be just a rebranded version of 570M)...

Also, keep an eye out of the new Samsung 7 series Gamer laptops, which come in two variants, the one with 675M and the other with the Mobility Radeon 6990...

Solution

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I hate dell laptops, and since dell took over alienware, I would rather stay well away. I was looking at the MSI, they have great sound systems and really good cooling. I'm in no hurry as I have a few months before I move. But I would like to get an Idea.

I'm not fussed with Ivy bridge, the new Clevo is taking advatage of the X79 chip, and the price isn't to bad either (I was thinking about going SLI GTX675)

BUT I would like to keep my price range below $2000 USD.

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Regarding Portablility and aesthetics. I don't mind at all how it looks. I would prefer good portability as I will be travelling A LOT!.

Battery Life is also quite important, but I can always buy multiple batteries.

Remember that I am looking for something that has power, but I don't want to waste my money on something I will never use to it's full potential.

I want to keep the laptop for quite a few years so I need something quite sturdy.

Finally, I want something that sticks to all my requirements, I don't quite know how all the mobile versions of cards stack up against the 'normal' versions, as I haven't really checked them out, but I would love some ideas from the computer society before I go out and check them out myself. A list of 4-5 good laptops would be great. Trying to stay below $2000 USD, as low as I can realistically haha

Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS