PAC MAN: Light Bulbs!?!?!

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Just purchased an original, very well cared-for PAC MAN upright and
I've never seen this before: Two 40-watt light bulbs behind the
marquee! This looks totally factory done and by that I mean perfectly
clean, using perfectly-fitting brackets, non-spliced original wire
harness, and does not, I repeat *does not* look like a hack job.

Can you fellow PAC MAN owners take a peek behind your marquee and tell
me what you see? I'm curious if PACs (or very early PACs) came this
way. Mine has the original blue-speckled yellow cabinet paint.

Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

I know mine is that way.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

I would not put those light bulbs back in.The heat from them will dry
up the marquee and discolor and crack it. Ted

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Yeah, the 7-watt bulbs is definitely a good idea. Finally a good use
for those things :)

I was just standing there staring these bulbs in the face thinking,
"Why the $&#* are there bulbs in my machine? This thing looks like some
strange 60's TV sci-fi thinga-ma-jig. Where's the reel-to-reel memory
bank?"

Thanks all!

Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Yup. That's completely normal.

If you like, take some of the small spiral florescent "bulbs" and
replace the tungsten bulbs. It will run cooler, and will prevent the
marquee from being "melted/burned" by the heat of the bulbs.

Galaxian was the same way, and I think Rally-X also used this style of
marquee lighting if I'm not mistaken.

Blaine.

- - -

>Just purchased an original, very well cared-for PAC MAN upright and
>I've never seen this before: Two 40-watt light bulbs behind the
>marquee! This looks totally factory done and by that I mean perfectly
>clean, using perfectly-fitting brackets, non-spliced original wire
>harness, and does not, I repeat *does not* look like a hack job.
>
>Can you fellow PAC MAN owners take a peek behind your marquee and tell
>me what you see? I'm curious if PACs (or very early PACs) came this
>way. Mine has the original blue-speckled yellow cabinet paint.
>
>Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Both Pac-Man's and Galaxians used them quite frequently.

Replace them with compact flourescent lamps with the straight tubes out of
their screw bases, not the twists (so the light extends farther)

Use a couple 7 watt ones. If you have an IKEA close to you, you can pick up
a 3 pack for about $6.99 that fit in regular sized sockets. A bit more at
other hardware stores (Menards/HD/Lowes)

Using CFL will reduce the heat and "torching" and make the marquee last much
longer and more closely match a 15 watt flourescent tube that the newer ones
had.

"zap777" <steve_zap777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased an original, very well cared-for PAC MAN upright and
> I've never seen this before: Two 40-watt light bulbs behind the
> marquee! This looks totally factory done and by that I mean perfectly
> clean, using perfectly-fitting brackets, non-spliced original wire
> harness, and does not, I repeat *does not* look like a hack job.
>
> Can you fellow PAC MAN owners take a peek behind your marquee and tell
> me what you see? I'm curious if PACs (or very early PACs) came this
> way. Mine has the original blue-speckled yellow cabinet paint.
>
> Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

They have tubular 40-watt bulbs. Not too tough to find, but usually on the
expensive side.

"zap777" <steve_zap777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased an original, very well cared-for PAC MAN upright and
> I've never seen this before: Two 40-watt light bulbs behind the
> marquee! This looks totally factory done and by that I mean perfectly
> clean, using perfectly-fitting brackets, non-spliced original wire
> harness, and does not, I repeat *does not* look like a hack job.
>
> Can you fellow PAC MAN owners take a peek behind your marquee and tell
> me what you see? I'm curious if PACs (or very early PACs) came this
> way. Mine has the original blue-speckled yellow cabinet paint.
>
> Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

yes they use regular bulbs...

But I'd get the 40s outa there and go with 15s or less...

40s will eventually discolor the marquee... they get too warm...

Philip

"zap777" <steve_zap777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased an original, very well cared-for PAC MAN upright and
> I've never seen this before: Two 40-watt light bulbs behind the
> marquee! This looks totally factory done and by that I mean perfectly
> clean, using perfectly-fitting brackets, non-spliced original wire
> harness, and does not, I repeat *does not* look like a hack job.
>
> Can you fellow PAC MAN owners take a peek behind your marquee and tell
> me what you see? I'm curious if PACs (or very early PACs) came this
> way. Mine has the original blue-speckled yellow cabinet paint.
>
> Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

I have one that is the same way.

Scott C.

kevinlshirk@aol.com wrote:
> I know mine is that way.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

My buddy Chip's Pac Man cab was like this.

It looked original enough to me.

Kerry

zap777 wrote:

> Just purchased an original, very well cared-for PAC MAN upright and
> I've never seen this before: Two 40-watt light bulbs behind the
> marquee! This looks totally factory done and by that I mean perfectly
> clean, using perfectly-fitting brackets, non-spliced original wire
> harness, and does not, I repeat *does not* look like a hack job.
>
> Can you fellow PAC MAN owners take a peek behind your marquee and tell
> me what you see? I'm curious if PACs (or very early PACs) came this
> way. Mine has the original blue-speckled yellow cabinet paint.
>
> Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

yep, they did the same thing in gorf, some galaxians, some ms pacs,
some pac man's
use 25 watt bulbs or less thow, or your wood will get "burnt and
flakey" and so with the marquee.

<Tmachcinsk@aol.com> wrote in message
> I would not put those light bulbs back in.The heat from them will dry
> up the marquee and discolor and crack it. Ted

Yes, 40w is too much. I rewire mine to be in series so they get half
voltage.

Dave

---

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Well that's solved. However, now I'm curious to know if your PAC
machines throw off a lot of light through the rear grilles. I'm sure
that after I ditch the 40-watters mine will glow a lot less, but there
is no panel separating the marquee section (inside the cab) from the
rear door/grille area. I'm sure they did this in order to dissipate
the vast amount of heat generated by the abnormally high wattage
lighbulb configuration.

Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

My Original Rally X has the same setup behind the marquee.....I thought
it was to much wattage so I put those flouresents in.

Yup. That's normal too. You'll likely also see some light spillage
through the bezel from the coin door lamps too.

Blaine.

- - -

>Well that's solved. However, now I'm curious to know if your PAC
>machines throw off a lot of light through the rear grilles. I'm sure
>that after I ditch the 40-watters mine will glow a lot less, but there
>is no panel separating the marquee section (inside the cab) from the
>rear door/grille area. I'm sure they did this in order to dissipate
>the vast amount of heat generated by the abnormally high wattage
>lighbulb configuration.
>
>Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

i just put 2 low wattage flourecsent (man i cant spell) light bulbs from
ikea in the galaxian cabinet I have.

little or no heat, long lasting and less energy.

k.

"D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in message

> <Tmachcinsk@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I would not put those light bulbs back in.The heat from them will dry
> > up the marquee and discolor and crack it. Ted
> >

> Yes, 40w is too much. I rewire mine to be in series so they get half
> voltage.
>
> Dave
>

> ---

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

The key here is to run the tube type bulbs- not the typical round light
bulbs. They are the same style you'd see in a desk lamp (banker style)
and provide enough spacing between the bulb and marquee to prevent
damage.

Where you'll find damage is if someone in the past put a typical bulb
in there, especially with a higher wattage. Those will cook a marquee
pretty quick.

I like to keep everything original- even the lighting. GORF uses a
similar bulb arrangement with different wattages, and sometimes
difficult to find (frosted anyway) wattage behind the backglass on the
upright.

Mike Doyle

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Yes, I'm the same way Mike. If I can get my hands on those
original-style bulbs, I will get them instead of the flourescent
7-watt. Where do you get them? Thanks.

Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

You'll find them at Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart- just about anyplace
that sells light bulbs. Look for a 40 watt frosted (but clear will do
in a pinch) tublar bulbs. The frosted gives a little better diffusion
of light for more even marquee lighting. They're shaped like a polish
sausage instead of the classic lightbulb shape (hey, it was either that
reference or some bad ASC-II art).

Mike Doyle

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

LOL. Thanks. I noticed in the original PAC MAN Parts and Operating
Manual, they list the required parts as being # "0017-00003-0309 LAMP
12V., 25W. (2 REQ'D)" I wonder if they're talking about 2 flourescent
bulbs for the later released cabinets?

Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

That's puzzling since the marquee lights are 120v and Pac doesn't have
illuminated coin door lights (which are usually 12v). The Cabaret
usually use 12v bulbs for the marquee (at least Ms Pac does).

I don't know if any Pac cabs came originally with flourescent fixtures,
everyone I've had has incadescent bulbs behind the marquee. The Pac I
shopped this weekend still had the originals although they were burnt
out as 40w. Now I'm going to have to check the manual for the correct
wattage :)

Mike Doyle

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Just for the sake of knowing..... I have 2 regular incandecent bulbs in
mine...

Wayne

--
Arcadeforever.org

> LOL. Thanks. I noticed in the original PAC MAN Parts and Operating
> Manual, they list the required parts as being # "0017-00003-0309 LAMP
> 12V., 25W. (2 REQ'D)" I wonder if they're talking about 2 flourescent
> bulbs for the later released cabinets?
>
> Steve

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

>Pac doesn't have
>illuminated coin door lights (which are usually 12v). The Cabaret
>usually use 12v bulbs for the marquee (at least Ms Pac does).

Hmmm...Interesting. That's the first time I've heard that before!

I had to go and look at a pic I have of "The last new PacMan" (the
story is on the net somewhere, about a PacMan that was discovered
brand new still in its original crate in a warehouse.) Someone took
it out of its crate and took pictures inside and out. Sure enough, no
coin foor lights!

That's a mindblower!

Blaine.