I cant get into safe mode!

Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing file
by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in my
box.

Can any one help?

hi ,

does your laptop have the "rescue" button

senthil

I think it does if you mean system restore but i cant get into any mode being
safe or normal. I dont have a lot of knowledge about computers so you'll have
to be basic with me! Sorry.

"senthil kumar" wrote:

> hi ,
>
> does your laptop have the "rescue" button
>
> senthil

Philo

"JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
> missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
file
> by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in
my
> box.
>
> Can any one help?

that message can be produced by having a floppy in the drive...
if so...just remove it

I dont have a floppy drive on it.

"philo" wrote:

> "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
> > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
> file
> > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in
> my
> > box.
> >
> > Can any one help?
>

> that message can be produced by having a floppy in the drive...
> if so...just remove it

Hi JD81,

Here is one of the many useful newsgroup posts of Late Mr.Alex Nichol,
Microsoft MVP:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=9cetl0tnu0un3vsomroh8vh1u6dh82luv8%404ax.com

If you don't have an XP CD, you may need to get the setup floppy disks to
enter Recovery Console.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
> missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
> file
> by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in
> my
> box.
>
> Can any one help?

Floppy disks ie back up cd's? sorry im very basic at this stuff!

> I dont have a floppy drive on it.
>
> "philo" wrote:

ok then you need to add a cdrom to your machine...
once you do that you can bootup with your XP cd
and from the recovery console run chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r
and see if you can repair any errors...

if that does not work...
you may need to perform a reapir installtion

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/EN-US/#8

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Floppy disks ie back up cd's? sorry im very basic at this stuff!
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi JD81,
>>
>> Here is one of the many useful newsgroup posts of Late Mr.Alex Nichol,
>> Microsoft MVP:
>> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=9cetl0tnu0un3vsomroh8vh1u6dh82luv8%404ax.com
>>
>> If you don't have an XP CD, you may need to get the setup floppy disks to
>> enter Recovery Console.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying
>> > NTLDR
>> > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
>> > file
>> > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included
>> > in
>> > my
>> > box.
>> >
>> > Can any one help?

All im getting is a black screen white writting as usual in top left then
says NTLDR missing ctrl-alt-del to reboot & it just does the same thing
again, ive tried getting into safe mode by pressing f8 on boot up but it just
beeps!

I have a cd rom but no floppy drive.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/EN-US/#8
>
> How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Floppy disks ie back up cd's? sorry im very basic at this stuff!
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi JD81,
> >>
> >> Here is one of the many useful newsgroup posts of Late Mr.Alex Nichol,
> >> Microsoft MVP:
> >> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=9cetl0tnu0un3vsomroh8vh1u6dh82luv8%404ax.com
> >>
> >> If you don't have an XP CD, you may need to get the setup floppy disks to
> >> enter Recovery Console.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I have a cd rom but no floppy drive, no windows xp disks were given when i
bought the machine.

I tried to get into safe mode by pressing f8 on boot up but it just beeps!

All im getting is a black screen, white writing top left as usual with NTLDR
missing ctrl-alt-del to reboot but it just does the same thing over again.

"philo" wrote:

> "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I dont have a floppy drive on it.
> >
> > "philo" wrote:
> >

> ok then you need to add a cdrom to your machine...
> once you do that you can bootup with your XP cd
> and from the recovery console run chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r
> and see if you can repair any errors...
>
> if that does not work...
> you may need to perform a reapir installtion

Ive sorted my problem now, thanks for your time!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi JD81,
>
> Here is one of the many useful newsgroup posts of Late Mr.Alex Nichol,
> Microsoft MVP:
> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=9cetl0tnu0un3vsomroh8vh1u6dh82luv8%404ax.com
>
> If you don't have an XP CD, you may need to get the setup floppy disks to
> enter Recovery Console.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
> > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
> > file
> > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in
> > my
> > box.
> >
> > Can any one help?

You're welcome.