I cant get into safe mode!

Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing file
by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in my
box.

Can any one help?
14 answers Last reply
More about safe mode

    hi ,

    does your laptop have the "rescue" button

    senthil

    I think it does if you mean system restore but i cant get into any mode being
    safe or normal. I dont have a lot of knowledge about computers so you'll have
    to be basic with me! Sorry.

    "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
    > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
    file
    > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in
    my
    > box.
    >
    > Can any one help?

    that message can be produced by having a floppy in the drive...
    if so...just remove it

    I dont have a floppy drive on it.

    "philo" wrote:

    > "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
    > > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
    > file
    > > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in
    > my
    > > box.
    > >
    > > Can any one help?
    >

    > that message can be produced by having a floppy in the drive...
    > if so...just remove it

    Hi JD81,

    Here is one of the many useful newsgroup posts of Late Mr.Alex Nichol,
    Microsoft MVP:
    http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=9cetl0tnu0un3vsomroh8vh1u6dh82luv8%404ax.com

    If you don't have an XP CD, you may need to get the setup floppy disks to
    enter Recovery Console.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
    > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
    > file
    > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in
    > my
    > box.
    >
    > Can any one help?

    Floppy disks ie back up cd's? sorry im very basic at this stuff!

    > I dont have a floppy drive on it.
    >
    > "philo" wrote:

    ok then you need to add a cdrom to your machine...
    once you do that you can bootup with your XP cd
    and from the recovery console run chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r
    and see if you can repair any errors...

    if that does not work...
    you may need to perform a reapir installtion

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/EN-US/#8

    How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Floppy disks ie back up cd's? sorry im very basic at this stuff!
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi JD81,
    >>
    >> Here is one of the many useful newsgroup posts of Late Mr.Alex Nichol,
    >> Microsoft MVP:
    >> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=9cetl0tnu0un3vsomroh8vh1u6dh82luv8%404ax.com
    >>
    >> If you don't have an XP CD, you may need to get the setup floppy disks to
    >> enter Recovery Console.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying
    >> > NTLDR
    >> > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
    >> > file
    >> > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included
    >> > in
    >> > my
    >> > box.
    >> >
    >> > Can any one help?

    All im getting is a black screen white writting as usual in top left then
    says NTLDR missing ctrl-alt-del to reboot & it just does the same thing
    again, ive tried getting into safe mode by pressing f8 on boot up but it just
    beeps!

    I have a cd rom but no floppy drive.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/EN-US/#8
    >
    > How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Floppy disks ie back up cd's? sorry im very basic at this stuff!
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi JD81,
    > >>
    > >> Here is one of the many useful newsgroup posts of Late Mr.Alex Nichol,
    > >> Microsoft MVP:
    > >> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=9cetl0tnu0un3vsomroh8vh1u6dh82luv8%404ax.com
    > >>
    > >> If you don't have an XP CD, you may need to get the setup floppy disks to
    > >> enter Recovery Console.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I have a cd rom but no floppy drive, no windows xp disks were given when i
    bought the machine.

    I tried to get into safe mode by pressing f8 on boot up but it just beeps!

    All im getting is a black screen, white writing top left as usual with NTLDR
    missing ctrl-alt-del to reboot but it just does the same thing over again.

    "philo" wrote:

    > "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I dont have a floppy drive on it.
    > >
    > > "philo" wrote:
    > >

    > ok then you need to add a cdrom to your machine...
    > once you do that you can bootup with your XP cd
    > and from the recovery console run chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r
    > and see if you can repair any errors...
    >
    > if that does not work...
    > you may need to perform a reapir installtion

    Ive sorted my problem now, thanks for your time!

    "senthil kumar" wrote:

    > hi ,
    >
    > does your laptop have the "rescue" button
    >
    > senthil
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "philo" wrote:

    > "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
    > > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
    > file
    > > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in
    > my
    > > box.
    > >
    > > Can any one help?
    >

    > that message can be produced by having a floppy in the drive...
    > if so...just remove it

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi JD81,
    >
    > Here is one of the many useful newsgroup posts of Late Mr.Alex Nichol,
    > Microsoft MVP:
    > http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=9cetl0tnu0un3vsomroh8vh1u6dh82luv8%404ax.com
    >
    > If you don't have an XP CD, you may need to get the setup floppy disks to
    > enter Recovery Console.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying NTLDR
    > > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
    > > file
    > > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included in
    > > my
    > > box.
    > >
    > > Can any one help?

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You're welcome.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Ive sorted my problem now, thanks for your time!
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi JD81,
    >>
    >> Here is one of the many useful newsgroup posts of Late Mr.Alex Nichol,
    >> Microsoft MVP:
    >> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=9cetl0tnu0un3vsomroh8vh1u6dh82luv8%404ax.com
    >>
    >> If you don't have an XP CD, you may need to get the setup floppy disks to
    >> enter Recovery Console.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "JD81" <JD81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Im having trouble with my laptop booting up, i get a message saying
    >> > NTLDR
    >> > missing, ive read about this & all i seem to get is replace the missing
    >> > file
    >> > by putting in the windows cd. Unfortunatelly there was no cd included
    >> > in
    >> > my
    >> > box.
    >> >
    >> > Can any one help?