File Sharing & Properties wizard will not display

I am trying to share a folder on my PC and when I highlight the folder and
right click to share the folder using the context menu, the file sharing
wizard will not display. The explorer window dims as if the focus transfered
to the file sharing wizard, but nothing. Same thing happens if I try the
"Share this folder" on the "File and Folder Tasks" menu. This seems to
happen on all folders.
5 answers Last reply
More about file sharing properties wizard display

    Mr.Mike,

    Right-click a folder, and choose Properties. Is the Sharing tab present? If
    it's missing, try this command from Start, Run dialog:

    regsvr32 ntshrui.dll

    If that does not help, isolate the shell extension which is blocking the
    function. You may either edit the registry, or try ShellExView or ShellEx
    Manager utilities to track the problem. More details at:

    Ignore the title, and follow the steps mentioned under "Method 2 - using
    ShellExView"

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to share a folder on my PC and when I highlight the folder and
    > right click to share the folder using the context menu, the file sharing
    > wizard will not display. The explorer window dims as if the focus
    > transfered
    > to the file sharing wizard, but nothing. Same thing happens if I try the
    > "Share this folder" on the "File and Folder Tasks" menu. This seems to
    > happen on all folders.

    Tried running

    regsvr32 ntshrui.dll

    and

    ShellExView

    without any help....

    .... any more ideas?

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Mr.Mike,
    >
    > Right-click a folder, and choose Properties. Is the Sharing tab present? If
    > it's missing, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
    >
    > regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
    >
    > If that does not help, isolate the shell extension which is blocking the
    > function. You may either edit the registry, or try ShellExView or ShellEx
    > Manager utilities to track the problem. More details at:
    >
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    >
    > Ignore the title, and follow the steps mentioned under "Method 2 - using
    > ShellExView"
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to share a folder on my PC and when I highlight the folder and
    > > right click to share the folder using the context menu, the file sharing
    > > wizard will not display. The explorer window dims as if the focus
    > > transfered
    > > to the file sharing wizard, but nothing. Same thing happens if I try the
    > > "Share this folder" on the "File and Folder Tasks" menu. This seems to
    > > happen on all folders.

    Which shell extensions are installed, and which ones have you tried
    disabling?

    --

    > Tried running
    >
    > regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
    >
    > and
    >
    > ShellExView
    >
    > without any help....
    >

    > ... any more ideas?
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Mr.Mike,
    >>
    >> Right-click a folder, and choose Properties. Is the Sharing tab present?
    >> If
    >> it's missing, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
    >>
    >> If that does not help, isolate the shell extension which is blocking the
    >> function. You may either edit the registry, or try ShellExView or ShellEx
    >> Manager utilities to track the problem. More details at:
    >>
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    >>
    >> Ignore the title, and follow the steps mentioned under "Method 2 - using
    >> ShellExView"
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to share a folder on my PC and when I highlight the folder
    >> >and
    >> > right click to share the folder using the context menu, the file
    >> > sharing
    >> > wizard will not display. The explorer window dims as if the focus
    >> > transfered
    >> > to the file sharing wizard, but nothing. Same thing happens if I try
    >> > the
    >> > "Share this folder" on the "File and Folder Tasks" menu. This seems to
    >> > happen on all folders.

    Here is a list of the shell extensions sorted by whether dissabled or not...
    Plz let me know if you would like them in another format or delivery
    method.... and thanks...!

    Disabled Extension Name Type
    No Browser Helper Object
    No AcroIEHlprObj Class Browser Helper Object
    No CNavExtBho Class Browser Helper Object
    No CNisExtBho Class Browser Helper Object
    No Column Handler
    No Column Handler
    No Column Handler
    No Column Handler
    No CDF Extension Copy Hook Copy Hook Handler
    No MyDocs Copy Hook Copy Hook Handler
    No Shell Copy Hook Copy Hook Handler
    No Shell extensions for sharing Copy Hook Handler
    No Shell Scrap DataHandler Data Handler
    No .exe drop target Drop Handler
    No Compressed (zipped) Folder DropHandler Drop Handler
    No Compressed (zipped) Folder SendTo Target Drop Handler
    No MyDocs Drop Target Drop Handler
    No Sendmail service Drop Handler
    No Sendmail service Drop Handler
    No Shell Extension For Windows Script Host Drop Handler
    No Shortcut Drop Handler
    No &Tip of the Day Explorer Bar
    No Explorer Band Explorer Bar
    No Favorites Band Explorer Bar
    No File Search Explorer Band Explorer Bar
    No History Band Explorer Bar
    No Web Browser Applet Control IE Extensions
    No &Google IE Toolbar
    No Norton AntiVirus IE Toolbar
    No Web assistant IE Toolbar
    No For &People... Search Handler
    No In-pane search Search Handler
    No Outlook Finder Stub Search Handler
    No RealSearch Search Handler
    No Web Search Search Handler
    No Shell Folder
    No Shell Folder
    No Shell Folder
    No ActiveX Cache Folder Shell Folder
    No Administrative Tools Shell Folder
    No Briefcase Shell Folder
    No Cabinet File Shell Folder
    No CompressedFolder Shell Folder
    No Computer Search Results Folder Shell Folder
    No E-mail Shell Folder
    No Extensions Manager Folder Shell Folder
    No Fonts Shell Folder
    No Fusion Cache Shell Folder
    No Help and Support Shell Folder
    No History Shell Folder
    No Internet Shell Folder
    No Microsoft Browser Architecture Shell Folder
    No Microsoft FTP Folder Shell Folder
    No Microsoft Office Outlook Shell Folder
    No My Computer Shell Folder
    No My MultiPASS Shell Folder
    No My Network Places Shell Folder
    No Network Connections Shell Folder
    No Network Connections Shell Folder
    No Offline Files Folder Shell Folder
    No Portable Media Devices Shell Folder
    No Previous Versions Shell Folder
    No Printers and Faxes Shell Folder
    No Recycle Bin Shell Folder
    No Run... Shell Folder
    No Scanners & Cameras Shell Folder
    No Scanners & Cameras Shell Folder
    No Scheduled Tasks Shell Folder
    No Search Shell Folder
    No Search Results Folder Shell Folder
    No Set Program Access and Defaults Shell Folder
    No Shell DocObject Viewer Shell Folder
    No Subscription Folder Shell Folder
    No Temporary Internet Files Shell Folder
    No Temporary Internet Files Shell Folder
    No Universal Plug and Play Devices Shell Folder
    No Web Folders Shell Folder
    No Windows Security Shell Folder
    No URL Exec Hook ShellExecute Hook
    No WinFax PRO IShellExecuteHook ShellExecute Hook
    No &Address System
    No Accessible System
    No Address Bar Parser System
    No Address EditBox System
    No Audio Media Properties Handler System
    No Augmented Shell Folder System
    No Augmented Shell Folder 2 System
    No Auto Update Property Sheet Extension System
    No Avi Properties Handler System
    No BandProxy System
    No Channel System
    No Channel Menu Handler Object System
    No Channel Shortcut System
    No Code Download Agent System
    No Compatibility Page System
    No Compressed (zipped) Folder Right Drag Handler System
    No ConnectionAgent System
    No CryptSig Class System
    No Custom MRU AutoCompleted List System
    No Darwin App Publisher System
    No Directory Context Menu Verbs System
    No Directory Object Find System
    No Directory Property UI System
    No Directory Query UI System
    No Directory Start/Search Find System
    No Disk Copy Extension System
    No Display Adapter CPL Extension System
    No Display Monitor CPL Extension System
    No Display Panning CPL Extension System
    No Display TroubleShoot CPL Extension System
    No Download Status System
    No DropTarget Object for Photo Printing Wizard System
    No GDI+ file thumbnail extractor System
    No Get a Passport Wizard System
    No Global Folder Settings System
    No HTML Thumbnail Extractor System
    No ICM Monitor Management System
    No ICM Printer Management System
    No ICM Scanner Management System
    No IE4 Suite Splash Screen System
    No Installed Apps Enumerator System
    No ISFBand OC System
    No KodakShellExtension System
    No Microsoft Agent Character Property Sheet Handler System
    No Microsoft AutoComplete System
    No Microsoft BrowserBand System
    No Microsoft DocProp Inplace Calendar Control System
    No Microsoft DocProp Inplace Droplist Combo Control System
    No Microsoft DocProp Inplace Edit Box Control System
    No Microsoft DocProp Inplace ML Edit Box Control System
    No Microsoft DocProp Inplace Time Control System
    No Microsoft History AutoComplete List System
    No Microsoft Internet Toolbar System
    No Microsoft Multiple AutoComplete List Container System
    No Microsoft Office Binder Explode System
    No Microsoft Shell Folder AutoComplete List System
    No Microsoft Url History Service System
    No Microsoft Url Search Hook System
    No Midi Properties Handler System
    No MRU AutoComplete List System
    No Multimedia File Property Sheet System
    No MyDocs menu and properties System
    No Offline Files Folder Options System
    No PlusPack CPL Extension System
    No Portable Media Devices Menu System
    No PostAgent System
    No Print Ordering via the Web System
    No Registry Tree Options Utility System
    No Remote Sessions CPL Extension System
    No Scanners & Cameras System
    No Scanners & Cameras System
    No Scanners & Cameras System
    No Search Assistant OC System
    No Search Band System
    No Security Shell Extension System
    No Shell Application Manager System
    No Shell Automation Inproc Service System
    No Shell Band Site Menu System
    No Shell DeskBar System
    No Shell DeskBarApp System
    No Shell extensions for Microsoft Windows Network objects System
    No Shell Image Data Factory System
    No Shell Image Property Handler System
    No Shell Image Verbs System
    No Shell properties for a DS object System
    No Shell Publishing Wizard Object System
    No Shell Rebar BandSite System
    No Subscription Mgr System
    No Summary Info Thumbnail handler (DOCFILES) System
    No The Internet System
    No Track Popup Bar System
    No TrayAgent System
    No TridentImageExtractor System
    No User Assist System
    No Video Media Properties Handler System
    No Wav Properties Handler System
    No Web Printer Shell Extension System
    No Web Publishing Wizard System
    No WebCheck System
    No WebCheck SyncMgr Handler System
    No WebCheckChannelAgent System
    No WebCheckWebCrawler System
    No {D66DC78C-4F61-447F-942B-3FB6980118CF} System
    No Video Thumbnail Extractor Thumbnail
    No {506F4668-F13E-4AA1-BB04-B43203AB3CC0} Thumbnail
    Yes Context Menu
    Yes CISORecorderContextMenu Object Context Menu
    Yes CryptPKO Class Context Menu
    Yes Data Caching Shell Extension Context Menu
    Yes Encryption Context Menu Context Menu
    Yes IEContextMenu Class Context Menu
    Yes Microsoft SendTo Service Context Menu
    Yes Offline Files Menu Context Menu
    Yes Open With Context Menu Handler Context Menu
    Yes RealOne Player Context Menu Class Context Menu
    Yes Shell extensions for sharing Context Menu
    Yes WMP Add To Playlist Launcher Context Menu
    Yes WMP Burn Audio CD Launcher Context Menu
    Yes WMP Play As Playlist Launcher Context Menu
    Yes Icon Handler
    Yes Icon Handler
    Yes Channel Handler Object Icon Handler
    Yes CmdFileIcon Icon Handler
    Yes ExtractIcon Class Icon Handler
    Yes Fonts Icon Handler
    Yes HyperTerminal Icon Ext Icon Handler
    Yes Illustrator Icon Handler Icon Handler
    Yes Internet Shortcut Icon Handler
    Yes Microsoft Access Custom Icon Handler Icon Handler
    Yes Microsoft Office HTML Icon Handler Icon Handler
    Yes Outlook File Icon Extension Icon Handler
    Yes Photoshop Icon Handler Icon Handler
    Yes Scheduling UI icon handler Icon Handler
    Yes Channel Shortcut Property Pages Property Sheet
    Yes DfsShell Class Property Sheet
    Yes Folder Customization Tab Property Sheet
    Yes ICC Profile Property Sheet
    Yes IIS Shell Extension Property Sheet
    Yes Microsoft Disk Quota UI Property Sheet
    Yes Microsoft DocProp Shell Ext Property Sheet
    Yes Microsoft OLE DB Service Component Data Links Property Sheet
    Yes OLE Docfile Property Page Property Sheet
    Yes Previous Versions Property Page Property Sheet
    Yes Scheduling UI property sheet handler Property Sheet
    Yes Security Shell Extension Property Sheet
    Yes Security Shell Extension Property Sheet
    Yes ShellFolder for CD Burning Property Sheet

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Which shell extensions are installed, and which ones have you tried
    > disabling?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Tried running
    > >
    > > regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
    > >
    > > and
    > >
    > > ShellExView
    > >
    > > without any help....
    > >

    > > ... any more ideas?
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Mr.Mike,
    > >>
    > >> Right-click a folder, and choose Properties. Is the Sharing tab present?
    > >> If
    > >> it's missing, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
    > >>
    > >> If that does not help, isolate the shell extension which is blocking the
    > >> function. You may either edit the registry, or try ShellExView or ShellEx
    > >> Manager utilities to track the problem. More details at:
    > >>
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    > >>
    > >> Ignore the title, and follow the steps mentioned under "Method 2 - using
    > >> ShellExView"
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Mike,

    Disable the 3rd Icon Handlers as well, for troubleshooting purposes. You can
    enable them later.

    --

> [...]
    > Yes Outlook File Icon Extension Icon Handler
    > Yes Photoshop Icon Handler Icon Handler
    > Yes Scheduling UI icon handler Icon Handler
    > Yes Channel Shortcut Property Pages Property Sheet
    > Yes DfsShell Class Property Sheet
    > Yes Folder Customization Tab Property Sheet
    > Yes ICC Profile Property Sheet
    > Yes IIS Shell Extension Property Sheet
    > Yes Microsoft Disk Quota UI Property Sheet
    > Yes Microsoft DocProp Shell Ext Property Sheet
    > Yes Microsoft OLE DB Service Component Data Links Property Sheet
    > Yes OLE Docfile Property Page Property Sheet
    > Yes Previous Versions Property Page Property Sheet
    > Yes Scheduling UI property sheet handler Property Sheet
    > Yes Security Shell Extension Property Sheet
    > Yes Security Shell Extension Property Sheet
    > Yes ShellFolder for CD Burning Property Sheet
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Which shell extensions are installed, and which ones have you tried

File Sharing Microsoft Windows XP Displays