File Sharing & Properties wizard will not display

March 28, 2005 2:49:03 PM

I am trying to share a folder on my PC and when I highlight the folder and
right click to share the folder using the context menu, the file sharing
wizard will not display. The explorer window dims as if the focus transfered
to the file sharing wizard, but nothing. Same thing happens if I try the
"Share this folder" on the "File and Folder Tasks" menu. This seems to
happen on all folders.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:27:59 AM

Mr.Mike,

Right-click a folder, and choose Properties. Is the Sharing tab present? If
it's missing, try this command from Start, Run dialog:

regsvr32 ntshrui.dll

If that does not help, isolate the shell extension which is blocking the
function. You may either edit the registry, or try ShellExView or ShellEx
Manager utilities to track the problem. More details at:

Ignore the title, and follow the steps mentioned under "Method 2 - using
ShellExView"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to share a folder on my PC and when I highlight the folder and
> right click to share the folder using the context menu, the file sharing
> wizard will not display. The explorer window dims as if the focus
> transfered
> to the file sharing wizard, but nothing. Same thing happens if I try the
> "Share this folder" on the "File and Folder Tasks" menu. This seems to
> happen on all folders.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:28:00 AM

Tried running

regsvr32 ntshrui.dll

and

ShellExView

without any help....

.... any more ideas?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Mr.Mike,
>
> Right-click a folder, and choose Properties. Is the Sharing tab present? If
> it's missing, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
>
> regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
>
> If that does not help, isolate the shell extension which is blocking the
> function. You may either edit the registry, or try ShellExView or ShellEx
> Manager utilities to track the problem. More details at:
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Ignore the title, and follow the steps mentioned under "Method 2 - using
> ShellExView"
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to share a folder on my PC and when I highlight the folder and
> > right click to share the folder using the context menu, the file sharing
> > wizard will not display. The explorer window dims as if the focus
> > transfered
> > to the file sharing wizard, but nothing. Same thing happens if I try the
> > "Share this folder" on the "File and Folder Tasks" menu. This seems to
> > happen on all folders.

March 29, 2005 5:15:58 AM

Which shell extensions are installed, and which ones have you tried
disabling?

--

> Tried running
>
> regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
>
> and
>
> ShellExView
>
> without any help....
>

> ... any more ideas?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Mr.Mike,
>>
>> Right-click a folder, and choose Properties. Is the Sharing tab present?
>> If
>> it's missing, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
>>
>> regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
>>
>> If that does not help, isolate the shell extension which is blocking the
>> function. You may either edit the registry, or try ShellExView or ShellEx
>> Manager utilities to track the problem. More details at:
>>
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>
>> Ignore the title, and follow the steps mentioned under "Method 2 - using
>> ShellExView"
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to share a folder on my PC and when I highlight the folder
>> >and
>> > right click to share the folder using the context menu, the file
>> > sharing
>> > wizard will not display. The explorer window dims as if the focus
>> > transfered
>> > to the file sharing wizard, but nothing. Same thing happens if I try
>> > the
>> > "Share this folder" on the "File and Folder Tasks" menu. This seems to
>> > happen on all folders.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:15:59 AM

Here is a list of the shell extensions sorted by whether dissabled or not...
Plz let me know if you would like them in another format or delivery
method.... and thanks...!

Disabled Extension Name Type
No Browser Helper Object
No AcroIEHlprObj Class Browser Helper Object
No CNavExtBho Class Browser Helper Object
No CNisExtBho Class Browser Helper Object
No Column Handler
No Column Handler
No Column Handler
No Column Handler
No CDF Extension Copy Hook Copy Hook Handler
No MyDocs Copy Hook Copy Hook Handler
No Shell Copy Hook Copy Hook Handler
No Shell extensions for sharing Copy Hook Handler
No Shell Scrap DataHandler Data Handler
No .exe drop target Drop Handler
No Compressed (zipped) Folder DropHandler Drop Handler
No Compressed (zipped) Folder SendTo Target Drop Handler
No MyDocs Drop Target Drop Handler
No Sendmail service Drop Handler
No Sendmail service Drop Handler
No Shell Extension For Windows Script Host Drop Handler
No Shortcut Drop Handler
No &Tip of the Day Explorer Bar
No Explorer Band Explorer Bar
No Favorites Band Explorer Bar
No File Search Explorer Band Explorer Bar
No History Band Explorer Bar
No Web Browser Applet Control IE Extensions
No &Google IE Toolbar
No Norton AntiVirus IE Toolbar
No Web assistant IE Toolbar
No For &People... Search Handler
No In-pane search Search Handler
No Outlook Finder Stub Search Handler
No RealSearch Search Handler
No Web Search Search Handler
No Shell Folder
No Shell Folder
No Shell Folder
No ActiveX Cache Folder Shell Folder
No Administrative Tools Shell Folder
No Briefcase Shell Folder
No Cabinet File Shell Folder
No CompressedFolder Shell Folder
No Computer Search Results Folder Shell Folder
No E-mail Shell Folder
No Extensions Manager Folder Shell Folder
No Fonts Shell Folder
No Fusion Cache Shell Folder
No Help and Support Shell Folder
No History Shell Folder
No Internet Shell Folder
No Microsoft Browser Architecture Shell Folder
No Microsoft FTP Folder Shell Folder
No Microsoft Office Outlook Shell Folder
No My Computer Shell Folder
No My MultiPASS Shell Folder
No My Network Places Shell Folder
No Network Connections Shell Folder
No Network Connections Shell Folder
No Offline Files Folder Shell Folder
No Portable Media Devices Shell Folder
No Previous Versions Shell Folder
No Printers and Faxes Shell Folder
No Recycle Bin Shell Folder
No Run... Shell Folder
No Scanners & Cameras Shell Folder
No Scanners & Cameras Shell Folder
No Scheduled Tasks Shell Folder
No Search Shell Folder
No Search Results Folder Shell Folder
No Set Program Access and Defaults Shell Folder
No Shell DocObject Viewer Shell Folder
No Subscription Folder Shell Folder
No Temporary Internet Files Shell Folder
No Temporary Internet Files Shell Folder
No Universal Plug and Play Devices Shell Folder
No Web Folders Shell Folder
No Windows Security Shell Folder
No URL Exec Hook ShellExecute Hook
No WinFax PRO IShellExecuteHook ShellExecute Hook
No &Address System
No Accessible System
No Address Bar Parser System
No Address EditBox System
No Audio Media Properties Handler System
No Augmented Shell Folder System
No Augmented Shell Folder 2 System
No Auto Update Property Sheet Extension System
No Avi Properties Handler System
No BandProxy System
No Channel System
No Channel Menu Handler Object System
No Channel Shortcut System
No Code Download Agent System
No Compatibility Page System
No Compressed (zipped) Folder Right Drag Handler System
No ConnectionAgent System
No CryptSig Class System
No Custom MRU AutoCompleted List System
No Darwin App Publisher System
No Directory Context Menu Verbs System
No Directory Object Find System
No Directory Property UI System
No Directory Query UI System
No Directory Start/Search Find System
No Disk Copy Extension System
No Display Adapter CPL Extension System
No Display Monitor CPL Extension System
No Display Panning CPL Extension System
No Display TroubleShoot CPL Extension System
No Download Status System
No DropTarget Object for Photo Printing Wizard System
No GDI+ file thumbnail extractor System
No Get a Passport Wizard System
No Global Folder Settings System
No HTML Thumbnail Extractor System
No ICM Monitor Management System
No ICM Printer Management System
No ICM Scanner Management System
No IE4 Suite Splash Screen System
No Installed Apps Enumerator System
No ISFBand OC System
No KodakShellExtension System
No Microsoft Agent Character Property Sheet Handler System
No Microsoft AutoComplete System
No Microsoft BrowserBand System
No Microsoft DocProp Inplace Calendar Control System
No Microsoft DocProp Inplace Droplist Combo Control System
No Microsoft DocProp Inplace Edit Box Control System
No Microsoft DocProp Inplace ML Edit Box Control System
No Microsoft DocProp Inplace Time Control System
No Microsoft History AutoComplete List System
No Microsoft Internet Toolbar System
No Microsoft Multiple AutoComplete List Container System
No Microsoft Office Binder Explode System
No Microsoft Shell Folder AutoComplete List System
No Microsoft Url History Service System
No Microsoft Url Search Hook System
No Midi Properties Handler System
No MRU AutoComplete List System
No Multimedia File Property Sheet System
No MyDocs menu and properties System
No Offline Files Folder Options System
No PlusPack CPL Extension System
No Portable Media Devices Menu System
No PostAgent System
No Print Ordering via the Web System
No Registry Tree Options Utility System
No Remote Sessions CPL Extension System
No Scanners & Cameras System
No Scanners & Cameras System
No Scanners & Cameras System
No Search Assistant OC System
No Search Band System
No Security Shell Extension System
No Shell Application Manager System
No Shell Automation Inproc Service System
No Shell Band Site Menu System
No Shell DeskBar System
No Shell DeskBarApp System
No Shell extensions for Microsoft Windows Network objects System
No Shell Image Data Factory System
No Shell Image Property Handler System
No Shell Image Verbs System
No Shell properties for a DS object System
No Shell Publishing Wizard Object System
No Shell Rebar BandSite System
No Subscription Mgr System
No Summary Info Thumbnail handler (DOCFILES) System
No The Internet System
No Track Popup Bar System
No TrayAgent System
No TridentImageExtractor System
No User Assist System
No Video Media Properties Handler System
No Wav Properties Handler System
No Web Printer Shell Extension System
No Web Publishing Wizard System
No WebCheck System
No WebCheck SyncMgr Handler System
No WebCheckChannelAgent System
No WebCheckWebCrawler System
No {D66DC78C-4F61-447F-942B-3FB6980118CF} System
No Video Thumbnail Extractor Thumbnail
No {506F4668-F13E-4AA1-BB04-B43203AB3CC0} Thumbnail
Yes Context Menu
Yes CISORecorderContextMenu Object Context Menu
Yes CryptPKO Class Context Menu
Yes Data Caching Shell Extension Context Menu
Yes Encryption Context Menu Context Menu
Yes IEContextMenu Class Context Menu
Yes Microsoft SendTo Service Context Menu
Yes Offline Files Menu Context Menu
Yes Open With Context Menu Handler Context Menu
Yes RealOne Player Context Menu Class Context Menu
Yes Shell extensions for sharing Context Menu
Yes WMP Add To Playlist Launcher Context Menu
Yes WMP Burn Audio CD Launcher Context Menu
Yes WMP Play As Playlist Launcher Context Menu
Yes Icon Handler
Yes Icon Handler
Yes Channel Handler Object Icon Handler
Yes CmdFileIcon Icon Handler
Yes ExtractIcon Class Icon Handler
Yes Fonts Icon Handler
Yes HyperTerminal Icon Ext Icon Handler
Yes Illustrator Icon Handler Icon Handler
Yes Internet Shortcut Icon Handler
Yes Microsoft Access Custom Icon Handler Icon Handler
Yes Microsoft Office HTML Icon Handler Icon Handler
Yes Outlook File Icon Extension Icon Handler
Yes Photoshop Icon Handler Icon Handler
Yes Scheduling UI icon handler Icon Handler
Yes Channel Shortcut Property Pages Property Sheet
Yes DfsShell Class Property Sheet
Yes Folder Customization Tab Property Sheet
Yes ICC Profile Property Sheet
Yes IIS Shell Extension Property Sheet
Yes Microsoft Disk Quota UI Property Sheet
Yes Microsoft DocProp Shell Ext Property Sheet
Yes Microsoft OLE DB Service Component Data Links Property Sheet
Yes OLE Docfile Property Page Property Sheet
Yes Previous Versions Property Page Property Sheet
Yes Scheduling UI property sheet handler Property Sheet
Yes Security Shell Extension Property Sheet
Yes Security Shell Extension Property Sheet
Yes ShellFolder for CD Burning Property Sheet

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Which shell extensions are installed, and which ones have you tried
> disabling?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Tried running
> >
> > regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
> >
> > and
> >
> > ShellExView
> >
> > without any help....
> >

> > ... any more ideas?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Mr.Mike,
> >>
> >> Right-click a folder, and choose Properties. Is the Sharing tab present?
> >> If
> >> it's missing, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 ntshrui.dll
> >>
> >> If that does not help, isolate the shell extension which is blocking the
> >> function. You may either edit the registry, or try ShellExView or ShellEx
> >> Manager utilities to track the problem. More details at:
> >>
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
> >>
> >> Ignore the title, and follow the steps mentioned under "Method 2 - using
> >> ShellExView"
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Mr Mike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:33:47 PM

Mike,

Disable the 3rd Icon Handlers as well, for troubleshooting purposes. You can
enable them later.

--

!