Local Host 127.0.0.1 Question

While attempting to diagnose a problem,I was given the following tip;

Ensure that your settings allow no restriction for Local Connections
(specifically: Localhost, 127.0.0.1)

I know where to find this file and open it with notepad.However,how do I
know if there are any restrictions?

By the way,when I opened the file,besides finding "127.0.0.1localhost" there
was also another entry ;

"127.0.0.1 idenupdate.motorola.com"

This last entry I need to update my Nextel phone,but I wonder if it
interferes with or might cause the "restriction" the above tip was talking
about.

The "127.0.0.1 idenupdate.motorola.com" line in your HOSTS file routes the
traffic (idenupdate.motorola.com) to your local system, and connection to
the server cannot be established.

More about the HOSTS file, and it's use:
http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

If you want to establish connection to that server, you may need to remove
that line from the HOSTS file and save it.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User