Hard drive installation

I'm trying to put new hard drive into my old GX1.
I've backed up my system to CD, and set my system setup to boot from CD.
The system recognises the new hard drive, and it recognises that I have a CD
drive, yet when I reboot I get a teasing glimps of the Window startup
screen, and then it goes to c:\. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
2 answers Last reply
More about hard drive installation

    depending on the backup software you used to create an image of your entire
    system, there is usually a method to create an emergency boot disk that
    would both boot the computer and start the restore procedure...

    but, a simpler approach to all of that would be to temporarily connect both
    your old and new hard drives to the system and clone the image from the old
    drive to the presumably larger new one... then position the old one as the
    primary drive and remove the old and you would be all set. what drive did
    you get? most package in a retail box come with a cable that allows two
    drive to be connected at once, and with the necessary software to do the
    cloning of the drive image from the old to the new. the software can also
    be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site, but if you have a slim line
    case then you will have to get your hands on an ide cable that has
    connectors for two drives at the same time.

    "janbo" <janet.biggs@tesco.net> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to put new hard drive into my old GX1.
    > I've backed up my system to CD, and set my system setup to boot from CD.
    > The system recognises the new hard drive, and it recognises that I have a
    > CD drive, yet when I reboot I get a teasing glimps of the Window startup
    > screen, and then it goes to c:\. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks for your advice. New hard drive now up and running!

    > depending on the backup software you used to create an image of your
    entire
    > system, there is usually a method to create an emergency boot disk that
    > would both boot the computer and start the restore procedure...
    >
    > but, a simpler approach to all of that would be to temporarily connect
    both
    > your old and new hard drives to the system and clone the image from the
    old
    > drive to the presumably larger new one... then position the old one as the
    > primary drive and remove the old and you would be all set. what drive did
    > you get? most package in a retail box come with a cable that allows two
    > drive to be connected at once, and with the necessary software to do the
    > cloning of the drive image from the old to the new. the software can also
    > be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site, but if you have a slim
    line
    > case then you will have to get your hands on an ide cable that has
    > connectors for two drives at the same time.
    >
    > "janbo" <janet.biggs@tesco.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to put new hard drive into my old GX1.
    > > I've backed up my system to CD, and set my system setup to boot from CD.
    > > The system recognises the new hard drive, and it recognises that I have
    > > CD drive, yet when I reboot I get a teasing glimps of the Window startup
    > > screen, and then it goes to c:\. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Dell Hard Drives CD-Rom Computers