Considering Lenovo Y740p

Status
Not open for further replies.

edude95

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hi guys. I've been looking for a decently priced, well specced laptop for a while now, and I found the Lenovo Y470p.

$760
i7-2670QM
Radeon HD 7690M 1gb DDR3
8gb RAM

I mainly develop videogames, so I figure that a decent computer for playing games should be good for making games. I'm somewhat worried that the memory is DDR3 instead of DDR5; does this make a big difference? I can't find specific benchmarks for the DDR3 1gb version of this card, although I have looked at notebookcheck's page for it.

In short, what level of performance in gaming can I expect from this computer?

edude95

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
WR2: Thank you very much for your fast response. I didn't realize that developing takes less power than playing games... good to know.

Also, I do the occasional bit of gaming; would this computer be able to handle new games, like the Assassins Creed series? I don't need high settings or anything; I just would like to be able to play them.
Resolution : 1366x768 on the laptop, and 1980x1440 at home.

Thanks.

edude95

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Thanks for the links and for clearing up the naming.

I looked at the notebookcheck page; am I correct in concluding that it should be able to play most new games (excluding extreme ones like Battlefield 3) at medium settings and 1366x768?

edude95

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Thank you very much for the additional input- I'll be sure to take a look at the specs you linked to.
I plan on buying within a week or two. I dont actually know much about the new ivy bridge architecture; will it be a substantial gain over the current sandy bridge cpu's? Also, I'm trying very hard to spend under $800.

edude95

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Ok. As you said, the better integrated gpu is really a non-issue. With the switchable graphics in the lenovo, the only thing I'll be using the intel gpu for is web browsing.

Thanks for all your help; sounds like I'll be going with the lenovo.

As an owner of a Lenovo Y470, I recommend against purchasing a Y470 or Y470p. The only difference between the two is that the Y470p uses the Radeon HD 7690m vs. the GT 550m.

The main problem with the Y470 series is the CPU tends to be around 90C+ when playing games. This has been confirmed by other owners and also professional reviews. There is no issue with the graphic card though. The GT 550m operates at about 70C which is acceptable for a laptop. Not sure how hot the Radeon HD 7690m will be though.

Click the following recent link regarding the Lenovo Y470 which has some additional information that I provided.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/77802-35-lenovo-y470p-hpdv6-need-pick-tomorrow

If you have no issues about taking apart the Y470/Y470p to replace the thermal paste, then go ahead and buy the Y470p. Although I have not done so yet, one person did comment that replacing the thermal did drop his CPU temps by 20C+. However, doing so will void your warranty. The reason why I have not done so yet is because I bought an extended warranty for a total of 3 years. Therefore, if I replace the thermal paste, I will basically piss away 29 months worth of warranty.

Something else to consider...

If you are going to be doing work or anything related to productivity, then I recommend getting a laptop with higher resolution. I'm thinking about replacing my Y470 not because of the high temps while gaming (I actually play games on my desktop), but because of the low resolution. I find that I am constantly moving windows around to look at certain information. A laptop with higher resolution means a larger desktop so you can see more information on the screen without having to move windows around.

I'm thinking about getting a 14" or 15" laptop with 1600x900 or 1920x1080 resolution. But I might wait until next year when Intel's Haswell mobile CPUs are released. However, if the low resolution really starts to be f**king annoying, then I'll buy one sooner.

edude95

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I appreciate your input, jaguarskx. I would agree with you on the resolution, but I have been using a 1280x800 laptop for a while now, and I'm starting to get used to it; also, I have my dual monitor setup for when I really need to get things done.
I had no idea about the overheating issue. I read the thread you linked to, and it seems like a very serious problem. How hard do you have to push it for it to begin overheating?

Also, does anyone know of a similarly priced laptop (around $750-800) that has comparable specs (quad core i7 and high-mid range gpu)?

Not very hard. All you need to do is play a game for the CPU to hit 90C+. I tested Crysis, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect. GTA 4 made the CPU hit 99C and it started to throttle.

While encoding video the CPU hits 80C - 82C.

Status
Not open for further replies.