cd boot

March 29, 2005 2:08:53 AM

I just posted a problem booting my computer with a CD. On investigating
further I find the following: The computer doesn't recognize that a CD is
in the drive when I try to boot up. From a Windows XP setup disk it says it
can't find ntldr. I replaced that file from another computer that doesn't
have this problem. No go. And from a Windows 98 disk the computer ignores
the cd in the drive and just boots up to the hard disk. I have set the
bios to boot up first from the CD. The CD drive works once Windows XP is
started. If I have a bad CD drive I would expect it not to work in Windows.
So what can be causing the problem? Why isn't it seeing boot cds? By the
way these boot cds work fine on my other computers.

More about : boot

March 29, 2005 2:08:54 AM

The CD drive and or the MBD may not support a CD Boot. If the CD drive is an
IDE or EIDE drive, it's likely the drive.
If the CD Drive is a SCSI drive, the BIOS may not have SCSI drivers loaded
into BIOS or active if loaded. Finally, the CD drive may require a firmware
update to support CD booting. Remember that windows loads drivers for the CD
drive.

"jwelsh" <jwelsh@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>I just posted a problem booting my computer with a CD. On investigating
>further I find the following: The computer doesn't recognize that a CD is
>in the drive when I try to boot up. From a Windows XP setup disk it says
>it can't find ntldr. I replaced that file from another computer that
>doesn't have this problem. No go. And from a Windows 98 disk the computer
>ignores the cd in the drive and just boots up to the hard disk. I have
>set the bios to boot up first from the CD. The CD drive works once Windows
>XP is started. If I have a bad CD drive I would expect it not to work in
>Windows. So what can be causing the problem? Why isn't it seeing boot cds?
>By the way these boot cds work fine on my other computers.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:17:41 AM

The cd drive does support booting. This drive worked fine a year ago when I
installed Windows XP from the Microsoft setup disk. It's only in the last
few days that I discovered it would no longer boot from CDs. Is it possible
that the CD drive could be bad and yet recognize CDs once Windows fully
loads? I don;t know whether the CD drive--a Lite-On LTN483s-- is a SCSCI
drive or not--I think it is. I haven't changed the bios since I successfully
installed Windows XP from the setup CD.

"Chuck" <nospm@msn.com> wrote in message
> The CD drive and or the MBD may not support a CD Boot. If the CD drive is
> an IDE or EIDE drive, it's likely the drive.
> If the CD Drive is a SCSI drive, the BIOS may not have SCSI drivers loaded
> into BIOS or active if loaded. Finally, the CD drive may require a
> firmware update to support CD booting. Remember that windows loads drivers
> for the CD drive.
>
> "jwelsh" <jwelsh@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>>I just posted a problem booting my computer with a CD. On investigating
>>further I find the following: The computer doesn't recognize that a CD is
>>in the drive when I try to boot up. From a Windows XP setup disk it says
>>it can't find ntldr. I replaced that file from another computer that
>>doesn't have this problem. No go. And from a Windows 98 disk the
>>computer ignores the cd in the drive and just boots up to the hard disk.
>>I have set the bios to boot up first from the CD. The CD drive works once
>>Windows XP is started. If I have a bad CD drive I would expect it not to
>>work in Windows. So what can be causing the problem? Why isn't it seeing
>>boot cds? By the way these boot cds work fine on my other computers.

Related resources
March 29, 2005 11:23:06 AM

jwelsh wrote:

> The cd drive does support booting. This drive worked fine a year ago when I
> installed Windows XP from the Microsoft setup disk. It's only in the last
> few days that I discovered it would no longer boot from CDs. Is it possible
> that the CD drive could be bad and yet recognize CDs once Windows fully
> loads? I don;t know whether the CD drive--a Lite-On LTN483s-- is a SCSCI
> drive or not--I think it is. I haven't changed the bios since I successfully
> installed Windows XP from the setup CD.
>
> "Chuck" <nospm@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>The CD drive and or the MBD may not support a CD Boot. If the CD drive is
>>an IDE or EIDE drive, it's likely the drive.
>>If the CD Drive is a SCSI drive, the BIOS may not have SCSI drivers loaded
>>into BIOS or active if loaded. Finally, the CD drive may require a
>>firmware update to support CD booting. Remember that windows loads drivers
>>for the CD drive.
>>
>>"jwelsh" <jwelsh@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I just posted a problem booting my computer with a CD. On investigating
>>>further I find the following: The computer doesn't recognize that a CD is
>>>in the drive when I try to boot up. From a Windows XP setup disk it says
>>>it can't find ntldr. I replaced that file from another computer that
>>>doesn't have this problem. No go. And from a Windows 98 disk the
>>>computer ignores the cd in the drive and just boots up to the hard disk.
>>>I have set the bios to boot up first from the CD. The CD drive works once
>>>Windows XP is started. If I have a bad CD drive I would expect it not to
>>>work in Windows. So what can be causing the problem? Why isn't it seeing
>>>boot cds? By the way these boot cds work fine on my other computers.

Its possible that the CD drive isn't in the boot chain. Have you checked
Bios and set the CD drive to boot *before* the hardrive?

John
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:30:00 PM

Yes, as I wrote, I have set the cd rom in bios to boot before the hard disk.

!