ATI 9600 AIW pro or 9700 AIW pro?

sbshaner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I am planning on getting a new vid card. I am looking at the ATI 9600 pro AIW or the 9700 pro AIW card. Is there a big difference between the two? It looks like they both support DX9 and both come with 128 DDR. The 9700 is only 70 bucks more, I plan on using this card for gaming and video editing(DV camcorder). The 9800 pro is outta my price range.

soccerdude90

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
for the gaming? i'd go for the 9700... theres a fair boost in performance, knock a couple fps off a radeon 9800 128, and your about 9700 level... and where u see this for sale, newegg?

Make the game work for you, not work you into a new computer

sbshaner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Allstarshop.com 9600 pro AIW $209, 9700 AIW $279, 9700 pro AIW $355. Yeah I thought $279 was the pro card, my mistake. Hmm $140 dollar difference I think I'll go with the 9600 pro AIW. Or I can buy Pinnicle Studio deluxe $160 and Radeon 9600 pro/fx5700. I wonder why the newer AIW cards don't include firewire port? It would be nice since my camera has one.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sbshaner on 11/18/03 06:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Most newer mobos include firewire, and creative has them on their audigy cards, and you can buy an add in card for ~$20, so it's an extra feature to provide that most people won't use as it would be configured (like on the old R8500DV) never used mine, used the one on the Audigy instead, now I have 2 directly from my mobo to a rear bracket. Really no need anymore.

If you are looking to do heavy video editing and SOME gaming, then get the AIWR9600P and run dual monitor from the dual VGA dongle. If you are going to be doing alot of Gaming and SOME video work, then go with the R9700nono-pro (if the $70 difference isn't too much for you [the non pro and pro are very close in this case, unlike some other Radeons]). One thing to consider is what does the AIW bring to the equation that you need? If you are capturing video from your DV camera then you NEED (not should have, but NEED) a FireWire jack. Any other method of video transfer will stink in comparison.

I would recommend the R9700np/9800non-pro and then an add-in DV/firewire card. Then pick your video editing software. If you find the basic one that comes from Pinnacle is good enough then maybe go that route.

The only reason to add the AIW to the list would be if you are capturing analogue video via the coax, comp or svideo jacks. The AIW and a DV/ieee1394 card would give you all the options, but unless you need the additional features of the AIW it may be a waste of additional funds.

Anywhoo, that's my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: