Assing a single intranet static IP

The question:
I want to assign a static IP to a Pocket PC at home and at work, and
avoid having to re-enter the static intranet IP every day at work. I
can't figure out how to get the MN-700 wireless base station at home to
assign a single static IP to the Axim PPC, while keeping dynamic IP for
the rest of the computers on it; the option to assign static IP
addresses just doesn't seem to be there. How is it done?

Details:
I have a new Microsoft MN-700 wireless base station. I'll be the first
to admit that I'm not really good at networking, I'm kind of flying by
the seat of my pants here.... be gentle. I've read through a lot of
posts on this newsgroup, but nothing seems to apply so far.

The base station is connecting 1 desktop, 2 wireless laptops, a cable
modem and a wired hub attached to 2 more desktops, all with DHCP-served
IP addresses. Right now, I have the network set up via the wizard
software that came with the base station; it set up the DHCP and so
forth, all the full-size Windows computers are working fine, sharing
internet and printers and HDD as they should.

I also have a wireless enabled Axim X50v, Win Mobile 2003 SE PocketPC
I'd like to use - but there's a problem. I use it at both home and
work; at work it has to have a static IP, from a pool of intranet
addresses - ie, 10.50.0.XXX. Wireless laptops can have DHCP active, and
allow me to have an "alternative" static IP, so they work fine both
places, but I can't do that with the Pocket PC; it's not that
sophisticated. I'm allowed either a single static IP, OR DHCP, not
both.

So, I want to assign the same intranet static IP to the Pocket PC at
home, and avoid having to re-enter the IP every day at work. The
problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to assign a single static
IP, while keeping dynamic IP for the rest; The option to assign static
IP addresses just doesn't seem to be there. Also I can't find out
whether the intranet range of addresses (10.50.0.XXX) is even available
to the base station.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!
ECM
2 answers Last reply
More about assing single intranet static

    I have never tried this but it should work. The settings
    you are looking for in the base station are under 'Local
    Area Network'. You can change the base station IP address
    to 10.50.0.1, as you do that you will see the DHCP range
    change. The PPC should have an address out of the range
    of the DHCP so nothing else gets assigned its address.
    To log back on to the base station, remember you will
    have to use http://10.50.0.1/login.htm
    I would unhook\power down everything on the network that
    didn't have too be up to test it. If it doesn't work,
    change it back to 192.168.2.1

    Let us know

    Gary wrote:
    > I have never tried this but it should work. The settings
    > you are looking for in the base station are under 'Local
    > Area Network'. You can change the base station IP address
    > to 10.50.0.1, as you do that you will see the DHCP range
    > change. The PPC should have an address out of the range
    > of the DHCP so nothing else gets assigned its address.
    > To log back on to the base station, remember you will
    > have to use http://10.50.0.1/login.htm
    > I would unhook\power down everything on the network that
    > didn't have too be up to test it. If it doesn't work,
    > change it back to 192.168.2.1
    >
    > Let us know

    SNIP

    Thanks for the reply, sorry for not acknowleging before now - it's been
    busy. I'll give it a try this W-E, and post what I find out.

    ECM

Routers Static IP Intranet Networking