Sign in with
Your question

Should GeForce FX cards return in buyers' guide?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2003 9:18:10 PM

What does everbody think after Det 52.xx drivers?

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>
November 19, 2003 10:19:42 PM

Maybe then, but they would have to come down in price a lot. A 9600 pro is still my choice over any of the fx cards just because it's only $235 CAN and can do >6o fps in half life 2 wich is all I really care about.
November 19, 2003 10:28:19 PM

Yes and you shall

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
FX5700Ultra, the next Ti4200? seems so
Related resources
November 19, 2003 10:49:48 PM

Yes. The 5700U isn't too bad, and I have seen the FX5900 non-ultra priced as low as $200.
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2003 11:13:23 PM

IT's one of those things, it should return with an asterix explaining some of the potential shortcomings. The Forceware drivers have done a good job, but there will still be problems and compromises. The biggest issue for me is the FXs in games that haven't had the chance to get the run-time compiler optimizations (as witnessed with Max Payne 2).

Price is also an issue, but they are definitely not in the same situation they were a month or so ago.

Put them back, but make sure people know that there are architectural issues that do have work arounds, but will never be fixed, and you may find that as time goes on your workarounds don't necessarily give you the best performance when you want it. But really they have made some nice strides.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
November 20, 2003 12:24:09 AM

:smile:

<b>I help because you suck</b>
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2003 1:31:44 AM

:cool:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
November 20, 2003 2:40:08 AM

LONG LIVE NVIDIA :D 
change it spit fire! CHANGE IT!!!!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
FX5700Ultra, the next Ti4200? seems so
November 20, 2003 7:58:56 AM

Every card should be in the guide. The Geforce FX cards are great for DirectX 8.1 and the new drivers make it run DirectX 9 respectfully as well. They are quality products and I see no reason why they should be expelled from the guide.
November 20, 2003 11:07:43 AM

You know I have an FX5900 and I just bought the Max Payne 2 game and will check it out when I receive it in about two days or so. Shoot the first one had no problems on my GE Force 4 420MX card.So far it sems to play everything real smoothly with great graphics
November 20, 2003 11:17:47 AM

I am trully impressed with your candid expertise. What you said about the Forceware drivers is just about what the mainstream experts are saying.As far as myself goes,my opinion is as long as the seller(Nvidia) remains honest as to its attempts to address these issues,then I say thats about the best they can do for now.Like I said before; the competition between ATI and Nvidia makes a healthy clmate for tech strides to come down at a ever decreasing time frame.I still think 3-$600 is far toomuch for all of this technology.
November 20, 2003 11:31:58 AM

To answer the topic, yes some of them.

Wooba Wooba
November 20, 2003 2:05:53 PM

As long as you make the point that new DirectX 9 games are going to run like [-peep-] until nVidia release new drivers with optimizations for each specific game (note, some less popular games might never get optimized and so may run like [-peep-] forever), then sure put 'em back.
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2003 5:42:21 PM

The thing is that while the FX's are great DX8 cards, they do no live up to their DX9 advertising/names.

The fixes are good for now, but seriously once you know more about how they work you realize that the ATI cards will almost always be better out of the box than the nV cards unless they have been given these tweaks before the game was released.

They should be there, but seriously many are not equals to the other cards in their class. Should we include Xabres? Sure just be sure to mention all their faults to.

The main thing is what is recommended and what simply exists.

I'd give the majority of the FX cards a luke-warm recommendation, the only one right now that would be different would be a VERY WELL priced FX5900, and maybe the FX5700 once we know more about it, and it's potential resons for being different with things like the new futuremark patch.

Perhaps a different layout is in order.

If so I might recommend splitting up the low end cards into two other sections, because under $150 is alot of cards. Maybe an under $100 segment, and then a $100-175 section.

November 20, 2003 9:50:34 PM

Sweet, about time too. I have had a 5900Ultra for months now, most of the "DX9 runs like poo" claims are a little extreme, the card is (in my experience) fantastic, and despite being 2nd best, still deserves a mention, if for nothing more than its excellence at running 3DSMax AND games to a high standard.
Would have gone QuaddroFX, if it was not for my gaming passion ;) 

Render times? You'll find me down the pub...
November 21, 2003 4:09:59 PM

Also mention the Trilinear issue! Unless it has been fixed that is. From what i remember NV don't think Trilinear is necessary for the users to have at all!
So i change my statement from yes to hm, but on the whole the people should get some options besides ATI chips only.

Wooba Wooba
November 21, 2003 5:45:44 PM

Who cares about trilinear filtering when we have aniostropic :) 

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by one on 11/21/03 03:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 24, 2003 7:47:28 AM

Ah there's the link. Forgot to read the article. Thanks

Wooba Wooba
November 24, 2003 7:25:22 PM

Heres another reason- They make for cheapo Quaddros after a spot of softmodding.
Last night i turned my 5900Ultra into a QuaddroFX3000 for a while. With everything running in the background as normal and max quality graphics (no stupid bench tweaking) my box achieved a whooping 26.07 in Specviewperf 7.1's max test.

Yes thats right. 26.07
HOW HAPPY WAS I?!!
So there you go- quaddroFX3000 3DSMax power for a few hundred £££ :D 

November 24, 2003 8:03:59 PM

Makes you wonder why the quaddros are priced so high. Greedy SOB's.

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS
November 24, 2003 8:27:18 PM

Nvidia? Greedy?! Never i tell thee!
Who could accuse them of money pinching?!
What, are they some big, faceless, corporation PR-spinning machine :D 
(love you really Nv)

!