windows Shutdown

March 28, 2005 8:39:35 PM

I start windows XP home addition the problem is my computer
shutsdown with no reason the program that is runing is
differant each time and it shuts down no logging off
nouthing it just shuts down ? where do I look for what is
causeing this?

More about : windows shutdown

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 10:31:55 PM

"Michael D" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I start windows XP home addition the problem is my computer
> shutsdown with no reason the program that is runing is
> differant each time and it shuts down no logging off
> nouthing it just shuts down ? where do I look for what is
> causeing this?

First, open Control Panel/System/Advanced Tab/Start Up and Recovery
section/Settings Button. In the System Failure area, remove the check mark
from the "Automatically Restart" option. This will allow the system to show
the fatal error that is ocurring instead of simply restarting.

Next, go to Start/Run and type eventvwr and press OK. In the left pane
of the Event Viewer, select Application and look for any "X" error messages
whose time coincides with the last time the error ocurred. Double click the
error to see the details. At the top right side of this details box there is
an icon that looks like 2 pages of text, click this icon to copy the error
details and paste the results back here in a reply to this message so that
we can have a look.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Michael D" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I start windows XP home addition the problem is my computer
> shutsdown with no reason the program that is runing is
> differant each time and it shuts down no logging off
> nouthing it just shuts down ? where do I look for what is
> causeing this?

This sounds like something is exploiting the lsass vulnerability
in XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_print...

To abort the enforced shutdown, click on start -> run then type:
shutdown -a

HTH

--
Thingy.
April 6, 2005 4:17:04 PM

If Michael is experiencing the same thing a number of other have been
experiencing (since about 3-25-05) then there is no 60 second shutdown cycle,
no warning, nothing, the system just restarts. Turning off automatic restart
does not solve this, and there is no BSOD or error message. Is that what is
happening to you Michael? Look at all the recent posts concerning this issue.
Something is going on out there!!!

Wilco

!