Files Stored on This Computer

My Documents do not show under "Files Stored on My Computer" in My Computer.
The only time this shows when I have Administrative Privileges. I have
looked in the Registry
(HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\docfolderpaths) and
the Values are correct. The Set values in the command prompt are also
correct. Other users on the machine are also affected. I have Windows XP Pro
SP2. If any could shed some light on this situation would be great and much
appreciated.

Thanks.

Look over the entry at:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
"Personal"="???"

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eucE0lBNFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> My Documents do not show under "Files Stored on My Computer" in My Computer. The only time this shows when I have Administrative
> Privileges. I have looked in the Registry (HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\docfolderpaths) and the Values
> are correct. The Set values in the command prompt are also correct. Other users on the machine are also affected. I have Windows
> XP Pro SP2. If any could shed some light on this situation would be great and much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Thank-you for helping, and here is the results....
Personal= %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
and
%USERPROFILE%=c:\documents and settings\<user> (when the SET command is type
in the command prompt.)

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Look over the entry at:
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders]
> "Personal"="???"
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> My Documents do not show under "Files Stored on My Computer" in My
>> Computer. The only time this shows when I have Administrative Privileges.
>> I have looked in the Registry
>> (HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\docfolderpaths)
>> and the Values are correct. The Set values in the command prompt are also
>> correct. Other users on the machine are also affected. I have Windows XP
>> Pro SP2. If any could shed some light on this situation would be great
>> and much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.

I don't see why you are not getting a My Documents in that case. Maybe there is something out in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

--

"Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23PQFboJNFHA.244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thank-you for helping, and here is the results....
> Personal= %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
> and
> %USERPROFILE%=c:\documents and settings\<user> (when the SET command is type in the command prompt.)
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23IfCniGNFHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Look over the entry at:
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
>> "Personal"="???"
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> .
>> "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eucE0lBNFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> My Documents do not show under "Files Stored on My Computer" in My Computer. The only time this shows when I have Administrative
>>> Privileges. I have looked in the Registry (HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\docfolderpaths) and the
>>> Values are correct. The Set values in the command prompt are also correct. Other users on the machine are also affected. I have
>>> Windows XP Pro SP2. If any could shed some light on this situation would be great and much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Mark,

All the following values in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders appear to be correct.

I believe this might be a permission problem. When I change the limited or
power user to an Administrator, the "My Documents" show up in the "Files
Stored on This Computer". I have been comparing another system to this
system's permissions and so far everything appears to be correct. I think it
might be a Registry permission problem. Do you know of anyway of resetting
NTFS permissions? Would an repair install correct NTFS permissions?

The users can still create files in their documents folders and when I type
%USERPROFILE%\My Documents in the Run command, their Document Folder Window
will appear.

I didn't even notice this problem until the user pointed this out to me, so
I do not know how long this has been happening. I do not think it is a big
problem since the user still has access to their folder. I also browed
through the Group Policies to see if anything was causing this, I also look
at these two key and found nothing.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

I am just curious what happened and once again thanks for helping me.

Derek

>I don't see why you are not getting a My Documents in that case. Maybe
>there is something out in:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thank-you for helping, and here is the results....
>> Personal= %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
>> and
>> %USERPROFILE%=c:\documents and settings\<user> (when the SET command is
>> type in the command prompt.)
>>

>> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Look over the entry at:
>>>
>>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
>>> Shell Folders]
>>> "Personal"="???"
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>>> marfers notes for windows xp
>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>>> .
>>> "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I would guess the user has elected to 'make this folder private'

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

--

"Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eU9c3sKNFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Mark,
>
> All the following values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders appear to be
> correct.
>
> I believe this might be a permission problem. When I change the limited or power user to an Administrator, the "My Documents" show
> up in the "Files Stored on This Computer". I have been comparing another system to this system's permissions and so far everything
> appears to be correct. I think it might be a Registry permission problem. Do you know of anyway of resetting NTFS permissions?
> Would an repair install correct NTFS permissions?
>
> The users can still create files in their documents folders and when I type %USERPROFILE%\My Documents in the Run command, their
> Document Folder Window will appear.
>
> I didn't even notice this problem until the user pointed this out to me, so I do not know how long this has been happening. I do
> not think it is a big problem since the user still has access to their folder. I also browed through the Group Policies to see if
> anything was causing this, I also look at these two key and found nothing.
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
>
> I am just curious what happened and once again thanks for helping me.
>
> Derek
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eKiox6JNFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>I don't see why you are not getting a My Documents in that case. Maybe there is something out in:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> .
>> "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23PQFboJNFHA.244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Thank-you for helping, and here is the results....
>>> Personal= %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
>>> and
>>> %USERPROFILE%=c:\documents and settings\<user> (when the SET command is type in the command prompt.)

TweakUI installed?
[+] My Computer
My Computer Icons
? Files Stored on This Computer

Does this key exist??

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\My
Computer\NameSpace\ DelegateFolders

{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}

This one?
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
NoSharedDocuments
REG_DWORD
0 or 1
0 = Shared Documents
1 = NO Shared Documents

Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825

Read all of it, there is a WORKAROUND.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\DocFolderPaths
Value Name: Your Name
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\My Documents

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eU9c3sKNFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Derek <anyone@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Mark,
>
> All the following values in
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders appear to be correct.
>
> I believe this might be a permission problem. When I change the
> limited or power user to an Administrator, the "My Documents" show up
> in the "Files Stored on This Computer". I have been comparing another
> system to this system's permissions and so far everything appears to
> be correct. I think it might be a Registry permission problem. Do you
> know of anyway of resetting NTFS permissions? Would an repair install
> correct NTFS permissions?
>
> The users can still create files in their documents folders and when
> I type %USERPROFILE%\My Documents in the Run command, their Document
> Folder Window will appear.
>
> I didn't even notice this problem until the user pointed this out to
> me, so I do not know how long this has been happening. I do not think
> it is a big problem since the user still has access to their folder.
> I also browed through the Group Policies to see if anything was
> causing this, I also look at these two key and found nothing.
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
>
> I am just curious what happened and once again thanks for helping me.
>
> Derek
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I don't see why you are not getting a My Documents in that case.
>> Maybe there is something out in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
>> Folders
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp
>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> .
>> "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank-you for helping, and here is the results....
>>> Personal= %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
>>> and
>>> %USERPROFILE%=c:\documents and settings\<user> (when the SET
>>> command is type in the command prompt.)
>>>

>>> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User

(HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\docfolderpaths)

Wesley,

I do not have Tweak UI installed.

This key DOES exist
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\My
Computer\NameSpace\ DelegateFolders

{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee},. Would the following exported info
be correct in this key,
=======================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}]
@=""

=======================

In the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
there is a NoSharedDocuments but it is a REG_BINARY with a value of 00 00 00
00.

In all users the Shared Documents does show under My Computer in the "Files
Stored on This Computer". Their My Documents does not unless they are given
Administrative Privileges.

In the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths

All information is correct, for example, if the User Logon name is Joe then
Value Name is Joe and the Value Dad is c:\documents and settings\Joe\My
Documents.

In the KB Article,
Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825

The Desktop.ini is correct under [DeleteOnCopy].

Derek.

> [...]
>>
>> I am just curious what happened and once again thanks for helping me.
>>
>> Derek
>>
>> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I don't see why you are not getting a My Documents in that case.
>>> Maybe there is something out in:
>>>

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
>>> Folders
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>>> marfers notes for windows xp
>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>>> .
>>> "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User

> (HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\docfolderpaths)

Derek,

I can find 25 references to deleting this key to get rid of Shared
Documents. I can't find what this key should contain.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
MyComputer\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}]
@=""
-----

TweakUI uses this key...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer

To add Files stored on this computer to My Computer.
"NoSharedDocuments"=hex:00,00,00,00

To remove Files stored on this computer from My Computer.
"NoSharedDocuments"=hex:01,00,00,00
-----

Group Policy...
Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\
Remove Shared Documents from My Computer

[[Removes the Shared Documents folders from My Computer.

When a Windows client in is a workgroup, a Shared Documents icon appears in
the Windows Explorer Web view under "Other Places" and also under "Files
Stored on This Computer" in My Computer. Using this policy setting, you can
choose not to have these items displayed.

If you enable this setting, the Shared Documents folders is not displayed in
the Web view or in My Computer.

If you disable or do not configure this setting, the Shared Documents
folders is displayed in Web view and also in My Computer when the client is
part of a workgroup.]]

The Not Configured setting removes NoSharedDocuments from...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer

The Enabled setting adds "NoSharedDocuments"=dword:00000001 to...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer

Beats me. ;-(

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.