Can i get the Hacksaw out?

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Hi guys,
I am going to build myself a slimline cased system and i need to get a low-profile video card. After looking around a few local shops an enquiring about prices it appears that to get a low profile videocard it is almost twice as much as the normal video-card.

A Ge-Force 4 MX440 here in australia is about $80, to get the low profile version, they want $150, for the same Ge-Force 4 MX440.

Now none of the stores actually stock these low profile cards they will have to order one in for me so having never seen the height of one of these low profile cards i ask the following question, given that most of the geforce 4 MX normal range of video cards only take up about half the height of the full bracket, see image at this link

http://www.techbuy.com.au/product.asp?prodId=29143&catId=VIDEOCARDS&parentId=VIDEOCARDS_GEFORCE4MX_SERIES

is it possible for me to just get the hacksaw onto the metal bracket which you screw into the case, cut that down to the height of the video card itself, and then have my own cut low profile card?

I need a video-card with TV-Out so i can play my DivX movies through my TV :)

-------------------------
Psyclone
www.lexicon.net/p5yc10n3

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Basically, you can take any card that's short enough, and shorten the bracket. I've done this myself a few times. I use wire cutters to dent lines in the steel and break it off.

But you might consider a different case, since many of these slimline cases are less than an inch shoter than the shortest cases to accept full height cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
I've allready ordered the case it was the only one i liked which i thought i could put in my room and not actually look like a computer. I am going to make it a little multimedia box, play dvd, divx, music cd's etc.

And with the screwing into the case to secure it, dont those AGP cards have locking mechanisms at the rear of the card neway that holds it in place?

If worst comes to wost i could always use a hot melt glue gun to secure it there. Then again if worse come to worse i can always fork out for a low-profile card.

Whilst im on it does all tv-out work the same way? i mean would a radeon's TV-out be better than an Nvidia one, or are they all exactly the same?

Psyclone
www.lexicon.net/p5yc10n3
-------------------------<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by psyclone on 11/21/03 06:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are probably budget constraints too. I mean, Coolermaster has a very short case (barely clears the cards) that hold full height cards and a full ATX power supply, it looks like a piece of home stereo equipement and is barely larger than the half-height cases, but...it's incredibly expensive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>