Hi,
I was working on my laptop which is 13 months old,and all of a sudden my
scree went!The light has decreased by about 90%,if you strain you can make
out whats on the screen!I have tried system restore,and rebooting but to no
avail.
Any suggestions,or is my light gone on screen?hard to believe since laptop
relatively new!
Cheers GArvan
--
gl

I guess the obvious thing to do would be to make sure your laptop screen's
brightness and contrast levels aren't too low. I'm not familiar with laptops,
but there's probably some buttons or something on the side of the screen
somewhere. Sorry, but that's the best I can come up with.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 04:43:04 -0800, lynched wrote:

> I was working on my laptop which is 13 months old,and all of a sudden my
> scree went!The light has decreased by about 90%,if you strain you can make
> out whats on the screen!I have tried system restore,and rebooting but to no
> avail.

Make sure your battery is fully charged or the laptop is plugged in to the
outlet. Some laptops will reduce the brightness of the screen if the
battery power is low. Usually, this setting can be adjusted in BIOS. Of
course, it could also be a lot of other things.

HTH.

thingy

"lynched" <lynched@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I was working on my laptop which is 13 months old,and all of a sudden my
> scree went!The light has decreased by about 90%,if you strain you can make
> out whats on the screen!I have tried system restore,and rebooting but to
> no
> avail.
> Any suggestions,or is my light gone on screen?hard to believe since laptop
> relatively new!

I've seen a few laptops where that backlight has simply died.
Unfortunately, in all of
these cases, a new screen was needed.
I don't suppose your laptop warranty is longer than the standard 12 months?
Even if it isn't
you might want to try sending a *polite* letter to the place you bought it
or the manufacturer
pointing out the coincidence of the display dying at such a convenient time.
Just one word of
warning, though - make sure you're sitting down if you enquire about the
price of a new display!

--
Thingy.

I suppose by now you have resolved your problem or replaced your computer,
but I wonder if your problem and mine are similar.

I run a larger monitor from my laptop when I am at home, and a while back I
tried to turn down the brightness of my peripheral monitor.

I fiddled with some stuff (that I can't find any more!) but I didn't see any
change in brightness on the peripheral monitor -- but I DID on my laptop's
built-in display when I disconnected the other monitor.

The laptop display is now as you describe yours -- so dim you can barely see
anything on it. But if I toggle the tiny switch that the display normally
hits when it it being folded down, well then I get normal brightness for very
brief moments.

So in my case I know that the light is not burned out. But I'll be darned
if I can figure out how to increase the brightness on my laptop back to
normal.

Paul B