Default Log On Account?

XP Pro SP 2

There are two accounts on my computer, both administrators.

When I boot up, I get a screen where I must choose one or the other to
complete the boot.

Is there a way to by-pass that, and boot to a particular account by default?

Thanks.
Ken
4 answers Last reply
More about default account

    Yep, with a nifty little program called "PowerToys for Windows XP/TweakUI for
    Windows Xp". You can get it here:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,2803,00.asp

    You can change all sorts of things, including the logon, and it's all safe,
    and very simple to use.

    "Ken" wrote:

    > XP Pro SP 2
    >
    > There are two accounts on my computer, both administrators.
    >
    > When I boot up, I get a screen where I must choose one or the other to
    > complete the boot.
    >
    > Is there a way to by-pass that, and boot to a particular account by default?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Ken

    Hi Ken,

    Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the
    user account from the list (to which account you want to automatically
    logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password and complete
    the process. In Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in
    Administrator, as you'll receive a restrictions error.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > XP Pro SP 2
    >
    > There are two accounts on my computer, both administrators.
    >
    > When I boot up, I get a screen where I must choose one or the other to
    > complete the boot.
    >
    > Is there a way to by-pass that, and boot to a particular account by
    > default?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Ken

    Thanks, Ramesh -- exactly what I was looking for.

    > Hi Ken,
    >
    > Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the
    > user account from the list (to which account you want to automatically
    > logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    > computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password and complete
    > the process. In Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in
    > Administrator, as you'll receive a restrictions error.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> XP Pro SP 2
    >>
    >> There are two accounts on my computer, both administrators.
    >>
    >> When I boot up, I get a screen where I must choose one or the other to
    >> complete the boot.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to by-pass that, and boot to a particular account by
    >> default?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Ken

    You're welcome Ken.

    --

    > Thanks, Ramesh -- exactly what I was looking for.

    >> Hi Ken,
    >>
    >> Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select
    >> the user account from the list (to which account you want to
    >> automatically logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password
    >> to use this computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password
    >> and complete the process. In Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as
    >> the built-in Administrator, as you'll receive a restrictions error.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org