ChkDsk Keeps Going and Going

Last week I installed a new harddrive (200GB) via an ATA/133 controller card
to use as a backup for my primary and secondary harddrives that are installed
to the motherboard ATA controller. The controller card hard has been in the
computer for over a year with other devices attached.

My boot drive is an 80 GB drive that came with the computer (master on
motherboard primary).
The slave drive on the motherboard primary is a 120 GB drive that has been
acting strangely lately (becomes "unreadable" after extended use, problems
with finishing speed disk). It contains some large video files (up to 20 GB).

While attempting to copy the contents of the 120GB drive to the backup
drive, the 120GB drive became unreadable (stops copying, disappears from
Windows Explorer).

Upon restart, CHKDSK apears to have started and has been running for several
days. The screen is currently going through "Insufficient disk space to
hotfix unreadable file" and a number. The number is now over 165000.

Any idea if this thing is looking at clusters and will try to go to multiple
millions on the 120GB drive? What will shutting down the computer so that
other diagnostics can be run do to the drive and its data (or is the data
alread gone)?

All volumes are NTFS with XP SP2 running as the OS.

Any ideas?
Paul J.

mesandiegan

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I am having the exact same issue. Did you have a resolution to this issue? I am upto 4000 file mark? Were you able to finish the chkdsk? Or did you have to pull the plug?