ATI Radeon 9800 pro with Athlon 1600+ : WORTH IT?

emenius37

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2003
Hi guys, i need your opinion. I'm planning on buying a new graphic
card (since i have to give my current gfx to my relative) and i'm
interested in this 9800 pro. My current rig setup :

Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4G)
512MB PC2100 CL 2.5 Kingmax RAM
Epox 8KHA+ mobo (KT266A via chipset) - 2X/4X agp
Seagate HDD
300W not branded PSU.
NOT O/Ced

What do guys think? Should I go for the 9800 pro or not with this
setup? I dont have any immediate plans to upgrade my processors & mobo
(i still satisfied with the performance & still dont have enough
money) but i want my new gfx a little future proof. I'm aware of the
Radeon 9800pro runs optimally on 8X but in the spec it should run fine
in 4X mode.

Its important for me my game run
smooth at the highest display quality possible (1024 X 768 X 32bit, 8X
ani, 4X FSAA). I mostly play Quake3, UT2003, MOHAA, FIFA2003,
Warcraft3, Need for speed.

If not, what graphic card do you suggest?

thanks.
-emenius

eden

Champion
Holy crap an almost exact system!
My Ti200 is aging and I may need one for Deus Ex: Invisible War.

I'm not too sure on upgrading on such a CPU though anymore. Might wait and get a full blown setup later.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

Yeah, but upgrading the Graphics card now moves the bottle neck to the CPU/system, whihc can be upgraded at a later date.

Putting a lesser card inside would mean that later both a systema and VPU change will likely be needed whereas an R9800 probably has the legs to last at least 6mths more than an R9600?? would, thus allowing some flexibility IMO.

Just a thought.

BTW, when are you going to get a new card? I'm almost willing to bet by the time I replace my R9600Pro you still will be looking, and we were both originally shopping for similar products. :tongue:

Wanna buy a slightly used, well burned in BBA R9600Pro in the Spring? :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - RED GREEN GA to SK :evil:

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/" target="_new">-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</A>

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Your upgrading when you have a R9600 Pro? Thats basicly what I'm upgrading to. Where is it lacking? what does it not run well enough for you? I'm curretly using a Geforce 2 GTS/Pro and it runs every game I can think of very well even if on some I need to turn down some of the settings. I'm more or less upgrading more for future games then for current games. So again I ask where is the R9600 Pro lacking? With my Geforce 2 GTS/Pro I play UT2003 on full settings great, as well as Planetside(low-medium settings), Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons(medium-high settings), Halo(medium-high settings), SimCity 4(highest settings). Can the Radeon 9600 Pro not severly outdo such an old card? If not then I have to re-think my getting a Radeon XT as an upgrade.

I'm interested in aspects outside of raw performance.

Money isn't an issue for my upgrading needs, but heat and power and noise were. So the R9600Pro was the best choice to add to a recently built computer.

My upgrade in the Spring (or winter of '04 depending on their arrival) will be to an ATI (or nV [or someone else] if ATI really drops the ball) PCI-EX card with an AGP adapter. Then the next thing to get will be a new Mobo that supports the 939 socket AMD64(FX if that's still the opteron knock off). The reason I will be replacing the R9600Pro is not because it's lacking persay (no more so than any other card currently availible), but these new cards may give me the opportunity to set up a bunch of cards in an array. I don't just want dual monitor I want to be able to keep my current cards, and move them down the PCI-EX line to the 1X or 4X slots and still use them for multi-monitor support. This is my 3rd video card upgrade since the spring of '02, so I'm not you average card buyer, and also I'm not so because I don't need the VERY fastest to increase my bungholio marks. I just want the one that best suits my needs and desires, and I have a feeling that these next gen. cards will come pretty close. But we won't know for sure until we actually see them under a few reviewers benches/stress tests.

The thing to remember is that NO ONE knows what the future of gaming will bring you can only 'future-proof' yourself so much. We've even starting saying 'future-preparing' or 'future-looking' because there is no card that will last too long. You will notice a jump in performance an quality in game like Halo and above (maybe not in the older games because they likely aren't truely stressing your GF2 too much. But you will learn to enjoy things like AA/AF and higher res. until the games start bringing you back down to earth, where your GF2 wouldn't hold up at all. Also you will get newer features, check the screenies in the link I sent soccerdude about PS 1.1/1.4/2.0 in this thread;

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=378301#378301" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=378301#378301</A>

IF you are buying for FUTURE games. Then wait if you can. IF you want your current games to play BETTER, then get the R9600XT. That's what I do, I get what I need for now, and then move on. The R9600PRo is what I need for now (not the R9700/R9800), and when the newer cards come out, I am focusing more of my attention on the RV380 than the R420/423 because it will likely fit my (for the next year or so) needs and then when the replacement is availible (R450 [usin 0.11 fab] or the R500) then I'll move to that.

I'm not as bad as the people who upgraded from an R9800PRO to an R9800XT or FX5900 to FX5950, but I likely don't reflect the same buying strategy/needs as you, so don't take my decision as a guide. Unless you want to take my personal GOOD experience with my R9600Pro as another vote for the advice you are getting in your own thread (the reason I didn't add anything is because crash and the rest covered it very well).

But like a few of us here say (many times); "Dont buy for the future, buy for your needs right now with an eye towards the future. Stressing the needs right now. IF the games you play right now don't play well enough for your tastes upgrade, and then be aware of what the future has to bring. But don't buy a card now in anticipation of future games that aren't even close to being here. If you are thinking of HL2 and D]|[ then wait until they come out, cause these cards won't get more expensive with time, just cheaper, and perhaps by the time the games come out ATI and nV will be releasing their next wave of cards and the R9600PRO/XT will be very cheap, cause people like me will be moving to those cards."

Anywhoo, hope that enlightens you somewhat.

If not, the take this quote to heart;

<b><i>"For my part I say nothing--nothing--but This I will say--my reasons are my own.."</i> Don Juan </b>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <b>RED GREEN</b> GA to SK :evil:

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I'm still not convinced that there yet is any good reason to spend that kind of $$$ on a DX9 card. Quake3? MOHAA? Warcraft 3? You don't need a 9800Pro to achieve fairy-tale framerates at 1024x768. You can get blistering performance with a Ti4200 on those titles. Also I don't think that some of those games you mentioned even support ani. filtering. You can get a 9600Pro for less than $170 USD- the DX9 performance is very good, it overclocks very well if you're into that, and it weighs in at almost half the price of the 9800Pro. Otherwise I would wait a while for prices to drop some more. Don't "plan ahead" too much... HL2 could be delayed for quite a while, and Doom3 is still half a year away from release.

eden

Champion
Heheh, everytime you ask me when I will get a new card, I giggle.

It is funny though.
Well, as you know, I game so rarely lately. I have been playing Max Payne 2 and even then, only once per week at most. Very busy, and rather not feeling too well lately. I tried the Deus Ex 2 demo and it definitely strained the card. Dunno now what I'll do for Xmas. If Ion Storm can rework the menu screens and video options, I might get it to work decently at cheaper GFX and still play well. I really don't want just a trippling of FPS. I know that in intensive moments, that will still amount to weak results. Plus, it's obvious that with such CPU, trippling the score isn't THAT possible. We haven't seen yet also if HL2 will run well on slow CPUs.

So to me, I'd rather wait. In fact, once I get enough money, perhaps the new generation will prove itself to play right, and I'll get a new CPU+GFX. It'll cost, granted...

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It will increase your performance, but I'd recommend against getting that card. If you have a card that runs well now, stick with it. All getting a R9800 Pro now will let you do is run the games at 1600x1200 instead of 1024x768.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

emenius37

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2003
Thanks guys for your advice. I MUST buy a new card immediately since i have given away my GF2 GTS to my relative. Currently using my first gfx card RIVA TNT <-- i know thats very old :). Since i dont always have budget, I have to make sure my buy last at least 1 1/2-2 years. ( Thats what i did when i bought my RIVA TNT b4 buying the GF2 GTS)
I've been saving my money since my GF2 GTS card and now I have to decide what the most gfx card worth buying with my available budget.

I dont think im gonna upgrade my processor & mobo in immediate future. I'm still very happy with my pc performance.

Anyway, after doing some research and thanks to you guys advice i think i'll go for Radeon 9600pro.

"Dont buy for the future, buy for your needs right now with an eye towards the future." <-- i'll keep that in my mind.

Thanks again.

-emenius.

Michaelius

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Hehe RivaTNT I just sold my g3ti200 and now while I'm waiting for my 9700np I'm surfing those forums on S3Virge:)
Oh and I'd rather spend a few more bucks on 9700np/9700pro/9800np than on 9600pro

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Eden, I hate to break it to you but I have just D/L'd the Deus Ex 2 demo and it is very dissapointing in a lot of ways. If this is almost finished code then most people will have a hard time running it. I have the system detailed below running on a brand new 120Gb WD Caviar w/8mb cache, Cat 3.9's and a fresh XP Pro install. in 1024x768 (no AA or AF) its only getting 30-35 fps. everything looks blurry and textures seem to be really low res. life aint fair.

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, Hercules 9800Pro 128Mb. :cool:

russmon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Yea Deus Ex 2 graphics are an absolute joke! Yet another PC game that has been compromised for the console. The graphics on my 9800np look similar to that of the original Half Life. The performance is absolutely unacceptable.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
What a bummer to hear to hear the graphics in DX2 suck. I loved the the first DX and was sooo looking forward to this release. D#mn consoles!!

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

eden

Champion
I see what you mean, but gameplay-wise, play more. I know there are some things I wish they maintained from DX (such as small text detailed menus rather than the current child-like big text and the HUD), but if you do play for a little, you will notice a real feel like DX. True, the demo is a bad example, I agree. But play and remember. Many who tested the full game have said nothing but positive results. I trust this will still be a powerful game.

Why on earth focus on console though, is beyond me. Damn it. Ports suck. Still makes little sense to run badly when it uses the UT2003 engine (no?) for PC. It'll end up like the first DX, cheap performance even when using UT's engine hehehe.

--

Read my first Ad for UT2K4 today in Maximum PC. HeHe, another title to get all hyped-up and dissapointed about! :lol:

Maybe DeusEx2 sux cause they are focusing on DeusEx3, The Unholy Trinity! :eek:

Still waiting to get it from Kazaa, not joining fileplanet for ANY game demo.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <b>RED GREEN</b> GA to SK :evil:

eden

Champion
Well, they responded back (IonStorm) and have indicated they will try to take suggestions and are already fixing optimizing the performance issues.

I really do think the game will be like the first, story-line and atmosphere-wise. I'm just worried gameplay-wise it'll feel weaker with the Playskool HUD that takes too much space, the lack of mouse involvment in menus, the huge texte and small inventory detail screens, etc.
DX1 had so much of that which rocked. I even read all the damn books! (yeah, the books which had stories completely unrelated to the game sometimes, and had chapters of reading!)

Hope the soundtrack is like the first, grim, sometimes reassuring, sometimes upbeat with techno, etc.

--