MS Backup

March 29, 2005 2:07:14 PM

When MS Backup backs up files does it just copy files or does it create some
kind of new proprietary file format?

Thanks

More about : backup

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:37:24 PM

Ray

It creates a compressed file format that can only be accessed by using MS
Backup.. and if you use XPs MS Backup to create the file, you must use XPs
MS Backup to get the contents back into your system..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Ray Little" <ray@nospam.rlla.com> wrote in message
news:o vwkCEHNFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> When MS Backup backs up files does it just copy files or does it create
> some kind of new proprietary file format?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:48:22 PM

That's too bad. Reminds me of the time I backed up someone's PC (many years
ago) so I could do an upgrade. It wasn't until after the upgrade that we
found the new backup software was incompatible with the format created by
the old MS software.

news:o OvAoUHNFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Ray
>
> It creates a compressed file format that can only be accessed by using MS
> Backup.. and if you use XPs MS Backup to create the file, you must use XPs
> MS Backup to get the contents back into your system..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Ray Little" <ray@nospam.rlla.com> wrote in message
> news:o vwkCEHNFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> When MS Backup backs up files does it just copy files or does it create
>> some kind of new proprietary file format?
>>
>> Thanks

March 29, 2005 3:50:59 PM

Ray

The best way to backup (save) data is to write it to CD/DVD using software
supplied with the optical drive..

--

> That's too bad. Reminds me of the time I backed up someone's PC (many
> years ago) so I could do an upgrade. It wasn't until after the upgrade
> that we found the new backup software was incompatible with the format
> created by the old MS software.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:o OvAoUHNFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Ray
>>
>> It creates a compressed file format that can only be accessed by using MS
>> Backup.. and if you use XPs MS Backup to create the file, you must use
>> XPs MS Backup to get the contents back into your system..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Ray Little" <ray@nospam.rlla.com> wrote in message
>> news:o vwkCEHNFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> When MS Backup backs up files does it just copy files or does it create
>>> some kind of new proprietary file format?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:24:08 PM

Actually, I'm backing up to a Linksys NSLU2 with a 160GB USB HD attached
(it's attached to the network so all devices have access to it). I've
decided to backup using the software that came with the unit.

Ray
news:o kt0v9HNFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!