Non contract reserve or U18 players

How do I get to offer a contract to the ones I think will make it?

I am managing a Conference South side which has a full squad of
reserves and U18s even though there are no fixtures. So instead of
getting bogged down spending huge amounts of time trawling through the
search engines and the transfer market to find players, I looked
closer to home.

I have found a couple of gems that have gone straight into the senior
squad and starred. But because they are not under contract their
contributions in terms of goals, assists and match ratings are not
being accumulated by the system.

Why?

What is the point if you are unable to bring home talent through? How
are you going to build a reputation for loyalty if you are always
buying and selling players? If you are lucky enough to buy low and
sell high you can build a tidy sum in the bank.

And what would you do with that sum? Would you possibly invest in a
youth scheme? Doh!

Or do you have to constantly line someone else's pockets to finance
their youth development schemes?

John Blake wrote:
> How do I get to offer a contract to the ones I think will make it?
>
> I am managing a Conference South side which has a full squad of
> reserves and U18s even though there are no fixtures. So instead of
> getting bogged down spending huge amounts of time trawling through the
> search engines and the transfer market to find players, I looked
> closer to home.
>
> I have found a couple of gems that have gone straight into the senior
> squad and starred. But because they are not under contract their
> contributions in terms of goals, assists and match ratings are not
> being accumulated by the system.

Do these happen to be greyed out players you are playing (have a stats page
but no personal or history page and cannot offer them a contract?) these
aren't real players they are just there to make up the numbers when you/comp
don't have enough players in your squad.
If its proper players you are talking you can offer them contracts, but
under 17 year olds can only sign a 1 year unprotected contract.

--
Michael Murray

In message id <33e7u4F3vstp4U1@individual.net> on Tue, 28 Dec 2004
23:18:26 -0000, Michael Murray wrote in alt.games.champ-man :

>John Blake wrote:
>> How do I get to offer a contract to the ones I think will make it?
>>
>> I am managing a Conference South side which has a full squad of
>> reserves and U18s even though there are no fixtures. So instead of
>> getting bogged down spending huge amounts of time trawling through the
>> search engines and the transfer market to find players, I looked
>> closer to home.
>>
>> I have found a couple of gems that have gone straight into the senior
>> squad and starred. But because they are not under contract their
>> contributions in terms of goals, assists and match ratings are not
>> being accumulated by the system.
>
>Do these happen to be greyed out players you are playing (have a stats page
>but no personal or history page and cannot offer them a contract?)

Yes they are greyed out. There is a profile and personal page but no
contract or options.

>these aren't real players

With respect, it is just a game. Its not that "real". Although I did
express deep joy when Alex Ferguson (I don't recall Sir being used)
was sacked in April 2005, Mourinho was given the vote of confidence
and then promptly walked away from Chelsea. Reaffirmation of "its just
a game" occurred when Mourinho landed up in the Barca job a week later
and Liverpool went on to complete a domestic double in May 2005. The
FA Cup final seems to have been moved by SI Games to 28 May. Either
that or no one has told the BBC who are advertising a big football
related event climaxing in Cardiff on 21 May.

>they are just there to make up the numbers when you/comp
>don't have enough players in your squad.

Is this the 50 man squad from years ago?

>If its proper players you are talking you can offer them contracts, but
>under 17 year olds can only sign a 1 year unprotected contract.

How proper is proper? These "fake" players are outscoring and
outplaying my own overpaid prima donnas and the opposition's.

Why can't I keep them? They are not really "ringers". Honest Guv....

John Blake <john.blake@clara.co.uk> wrote in

> Why can't I keep them? They are not really "ringers". Honest
> Guv....

It's simple. Greyed out players are computer generated, they are not
'real' and do not from part of the database. Often, they will perform
stupidly well because of this. However, in terms of the game, they
are fictional and have not been brought through by your team. It's
almost as if you've got they through a newspaper advert or poached
them off a local under-18s team.

Basically, to avoid these problems, you must simply not use these
greyed out players unless absolutely necessary.

Hope that helps,
--
PG

John Blake wrote:

> In message id <33e7u4F3vstp4U1@individual.net> on Tue, 28 Dec 2004
> 23:18:26 -0000, Michael Murray wrote in alt.games.champ-man :
>
> >they are just there to make up the numbers when you/comp
> >don't have enough players in your squad.
>
> Is this the 50 man squad from years ago?

Yes, CM3s used to have a 50 player limit. With CM4s onwards, the *theoretical* limit is
something around 64K players plus staffers (don't you try reaching that number or the game will
crash).

But that does not mean there will be no greys generated no matter how many players you have on
the books. You can have up to 11 GKs in the all the teams of the club and the game will still
make up a couple of grey GKs. And they could look better in attributes than the real GKs.

For comp. teams, greys can perform a lot better than real players. Heaven forbid, for instance,
in an international match you are in and you come up against a grey nation with single digits in
everything for all their players. You can easily lose to them simply because of the way the AI
is scripted - highly predictable and biased against human teams.

> >If its proper players you are talking you can offer them contracts, but
> >under 17 year olds can only sign a 1 year unprotected contract.
>
> How proper is proper? These "fake" players are outscoring and
> outplaying my own overpaid prima donnas and the opposition's.
> Why can't I keep them? They are not really "ringers". Honest Guv....

Because they are randomly generated fillers. They do not exist in the game. That is, you can see
them for the whole season even and they do grow older but none of the attribs are updated. They
can also disappear from the game right after the match they have played in for comp. teams in
particular.