HELP! Gamebox 400 in 1 Jamma Board

Last response: in Video Games
May 12, 2005 12:22:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Recieved recently a Gambox 400 in 1 Jamma board and can't get it
working. I at first thought I needed to set the dip switches a certain
way, but after getting the manual translated it turns out that wasn't
the case. I get an initial black screen and then a menu screen but the
unit doesn't recognize the controllers so that I can select and or
start games.

I'm using and old MAS Super Nova Jamma unit and was wondering if the
board may not be compatable. The Mas unit is wired for the main three
buttons with an extra connector for the additonal three (Street Fighter
et al). The Gamebox is set up for all six buttons via the main
connector with no additional place for the extra connector to be
placed. So... do I have a dead board or do I need a different jamma set
up? I'd hate to spend $40 bucks each way sending the Gamebox back to
Hong Kong to find it's not the Gamebox thats defective.

Any help would be appreciated.
May 26, 2009 4:37:03 PM

.*** ed it up. Whatever the software did to brick the damn thing has something to do with the hardware and not the software. If anyone knows how to fix this, or has a working arcadeOS install that I might be able to get from you please help! :)

admin[AT]cultofthemarsupial{dot com}

May 26, 2009 4:38:30 PM

.*** ed it up. Whatever the software did to brick the damn thing has something to do with the hardware and not the software. If anyone knows how to fix this, or has a working arcadeOS install that I might be able to get from you please help! :)

admin[AT]cultofthemarsupial{dot com}

Related resources
May 26, 2009 4:39:48 PM

...you just need to get the credit button working. When you credit the machine the timer will start enabling controls that allow you to select from the game. IF you get the test button working change the setting on the second option (in chinese) to the other option and everything will change to English. :)

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADD ANY ROMS TO THIS DEVICE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!! I had mine working for all of one day before I decided to try to add MK2 to the gamelist by renaming it to the Judge Dredd rom. This will not work. I even made a backup of the original hard drive before messing around with the files. Now even though I have restore ALL FILES to factory it still will not work. It says loading - do not insert coin and nothing f'n happens. It's Kingdom Hearts all over again.

Now I'm am faced with the daunting task of building an entire new ArcadeOs setup that is unlikely to work with the pre-configed jamma interface. So even if I get the thing working (assigning every possible key combo and testing until it works) I will likely be stuck having a stupid keyboard attached to add credits and browse the menu. This is lame. Do not hack your redbox. I'm a veteran IT professional who's been into the coin-op hobby on a large scale for over 10 years and IXXXXX it up. Whatever the software did to brick the thing has something to do with the hardware and not the software. If anyone knows how to fix this, or has a working arcadeOS install that I might be able to get from you please help! :)

admin[AT]cultofthemarsupial{dot com}
August 5, 2009 4:18:51 PM

Those of you who need help with your redboxes, redbox, gamebox, 400 in 1 etc please go to http://www.400in1.com for help.

I have rebuilt my redbox from the ground up and have a working install that can simply be dropped onto the redbox drive for full functionality.

If you make any improvements, (add emus for consoles etc) please send me the files so I can post the update for others to enjoy.

I hope this helps someone avoid the weeks of madness that I went through to get this working again.

thanks,
admin[at]cultofthemarsupial{dot com}
February 4, 2011 12:10:06 AM

Help! My 400 in 1 HD has crashed and I need to rebuild. The http://www.400in1.com website is no more. Does anyone know how to do this or have any information?