SP2 help... clean install, can't get onto internet...

Hi - - Well, I've contacted MS, and they had no clue... so here I am.
I just did a clean format & install of XP Pro SP2.
I'm still on dial-up... when I tried to connect, nothing happens.
All I see is an *opening port* box, which eventually changes to an error 633
(port in use).
I can query the modem in device manager, it responds fine. The modem worked fine before
the clean install, using SP1. I'm using the modem now, on an old computer with win98SE.
(USR SportsterVoice 56k external).
I've uninstalled the modem... didn't do anything.
I've uninstalled again, and used the latest drivers from USR... didn't do anything.
I have an internal modem, which I installed, and the same thing happened.
So it's obviously something other than the modem.

I checked the ports in device manager... and after making sure all ports are not in use,
now I'm getting the same 633 error, but also getting a *cannot install RAS Async
Adapter... Data is invalid.*
I have nothing other than the modem connected to the computer. I haven't installed any
software yet, so the installation is pristine.

But when I try to connect, I just get the *opening port*... with nothing happening with
the modem.

Any ideas?
I'm grateful for any help... thanks!!

Byte

DUN Error 633
http://www.modemhelp.net/dunerror/error_633.shtml

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:01:05 -0800, "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>DUN Error 633
>http://www.modemhelp.net/dunerror/error_633.shtml

Thanks... but I tried it already. Doesn't apply to XP.