having Defraging Problems!!!

I have windows XP home and I'm having problems defraging my hard drive.
I have a Western Digital 120 GB HD. Originally tried to defrag my
computer yesterday before I went to work it got to 6% before I left.
When I got home I found that my comp had restarted because of a serious
error. Tried to defrag comp 3 more times, now only gets to 3% then
restarts because of error.
This is the first time I have tried to do this since I got my comp
about 1 1/2 months ago. There's 40 Gb on the HD currently. No other
programs were running when I tried to do this including the screen
saver. Also tried to use chkdisk on friday because of an error and it
wouldn't get past 72% on section 4 of 5. IS my hard drive shot or
what? Please Help!
-AARON

--
Goof2003

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Goof2003 wrote:
> I have windows XP home and I'm having problems defraging my hard drive.
> I have a Western Digital 120 GB HD. Originally tried to defrag my
> computer yesterday before I went to work it got to 6% before I left.
> When I got home I found that my comp had restarted because of a serious
> error. Tried to defrag comp 3 more times, now only gets to 3% then
> restarts because of error.
> This is the first time I have tried to do this since I got my comp
> about 1 1/2 months ago. There's 40 Gb on the HD currently. No other
> programs were running when I tried to do this including the screen
> saver. Also tried to use chkdisk on friday because of an error and it
> wouldn't get past 72% on section 4 of 5. IS my hard drive shot or
> what? Please Help!
> -AARON

Go to the western digital support site and download their diagnostic
tool, this will help in confirming wether or not you have a hardware error.

It mostly sounds more like you have a coruption however try this first
and let us know