Aseem

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2001

Sorry for a dumb question, but I am about to reinstall Windows XP in my
computer as some of the files are corrupted and there is tons of junk.
My question is how do is save my stuff as the hard disk will be formatted.
My hard disk is partitioned, will that help in any way.
thanks

Barry

Aseem wrote:
> Sorry for a dumb question, but I am about to reinstall Windows XP in my
> computer as some of the files are corrupted and there is tons of junk.
> My question is how do is save my stuff as the hard disk will be formatted.
> My hard disk is partitioned, will that help in any way.
> thanks

find the files, copy them to cd. Confused about the question really...

thingy

"Aseem" <Aseem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry for a dumb question, but I am about to reinstall Windows XP in my
> computer as some of the files are corrupted and there is tons of junk.
> My question is how do is save my stuff as the hard disk will be formatted.
> My hard disk is partitioned, will that help in any way.
> thanks

If you have the chance to ask the question, then it isn't dumb[1]

Do you have a CD writer? If so, stuff a blank CD into the drive, and
double-click on the drive to open a window.
move that window to the bottom-left of the screen and then, from 'My
Computer', open a new window and browse
the files you want to keep. Drag them to the CD Drive's window. Once
you've finished, right-click in the
cd-drive's window and select 'write these files to CD'.

As your drive is partitioned, you could also move files to the other
partition that you want to keep. Please note
that some automated install CDs of Windows may wipe the entire drive -
partitions and all, so if the data you have
is important, backing up to CD, floppy or removable/remote drive would be a
good idea anyway.
Also, before you wipe the drive, do you need to backup your email, or note
down any usernames/server names?

<disclaimer> Reformatting a main drive almost always results in a little
data loss - usually when you forget to
back something up you took for granted. THINK about what programs you use.
THINK about the little things,
like address books. If in doubt, write important stuff down!. Make one
final check of your drive to ensure you
have copies of everthing that is vital. When you can say to yourself;
'I have everything I need, anything I lose is not important and probable was
worth losing'
Only then should you reformat and reinstall. If you reformat and lose Aunt
Betty's address or anything else, don't sue me. :)
</disclaimer>

[1] Unless you ask "Why isn't the sky purple with blue dots?" :)

--
Thingy.