XP startup problem

Sunday morning my computer ran fine. I unhooked everything and put it in my
car to go back to school after spring break... I got back to my dorm and
hooked everything up. Now something is messed up.

When it boots up it gets as far as the XP load screen, but never gets as far
as the login screen. After the load screen with the blue bar, my monitor
just goes black and then turns off.

I've managed to get it to start in safemode, and I've tried system restore
twice, to two different dates as much as a month ago. While in safemode,
I've run virus scans with updated definitions to no result. I also used PC
doctor on everything (including my harddrive, which took about 3 hours)
without actually finding anything wrong.

I tried the "start in last known good configuration" option, but that got me
to the same place as a regular startup -- my monitor turns off and the system
does nothing.

I've tried using the reinstall CD that came with my system, and I made a
diskette when it asked me to, but that seems to do absolutely nothing.

I can get to a DOS screen that gives me the option of repairing my
harddrive, but then it won't actually do it because I'm using an NTFS rather
than a FAT or FAT32. Apparently because of the protections on it, I'd have
to reformat in order to "repair" whatever it is that's wrong with it. When
I'm in safemode, none of the diagnostics I've used have found a problem.

Overall, I can get the system to run in safemode, but that's about it. None
of the diagnostics I've run have found anything wrong with the system. I
can't seem to figure out WHY XP won't start up normally.

Obviously I'm reticent to format my hard drive or lose information.

Help would be appreciated. Please ask questions if it will help you
understand the problem.

Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about startup problem

    Peter, try opening up the box and remove the ram. Then reinstall and make
    sure it's fully seated and locked down.
    > Sunday morning my computer ran fine. I unhooked everything and put it in
    > my
    > car to go back to school after spring break... I got back to my dorm and
    > hooked everything up. Now something is messed up.
    >
    > When it boots up it gets as far as the XP load screen, but never gets as
    > far
    > as the login screen. After the load screen with the blue bar, my monitor
    > just goes black and then turns off.
    >
    > I've managed to get it to start in safemode, and I've tried system restore
    > twice, to two different dates as much as a month ago. While in safemode,
    > I've run virus scans with updated definitions to no result. I also used
    > PC
    > doctor on everything (including my harddrive, which took about 3 hours)
    > without actually finding anything wrong.
    >
    > I tried the "start in last known good configuration" option, but that got
    > me
    > to the same place as a regular startup -- my monitor turns off and the
    > system
    > does nothing.
    >
    > I've tried using the reinstall CD that came with my system, and I made a
    > diskette when it asked me to, but that seems to do absolutely nothing.
    >
    > I can get to a DOS screen that gives me the option of repairing my
    > harddrive, but then it won't actually do it because I'm using an NTFS
    > rather
    > than a FAT or FAT32. Apparently because of the protections on it, I'd
    > have
    > to reformat in order to "repair" whatever it is that's wrong with it.
    > When
    > I'm in safemode, none of the diagnostics I've used have found a problem.
    >
    > Overall, I can get the system to run in safemode, but that's about it.
    > None
    > of the diagnostics I've run have found anything wrong with the system. I
    > can't seem to figure out WHY XP won't start up normally.
    >
    > Obviously I'm reticent to format my hard drive or lose information.
    >
    > Help would be appreciated. Please ask questions if it will help you
    > understand the problem.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Pulling the RAM cards didn't change anything. Was I supposed to try and boot
    it up without the ram?

    I went into the device manager and tried something different though. I
    asked it to "show hidden devices" and there's actually something that appears
    to have a problem.

    It's "SYMTDI" under "Non Plug and Play drivers". I don't know what that is.
    I ran a Google search and found stuff about Norton Antivirus, which I
    have... but I'm not sure what it has to do with XP not starting up... if
    anything.

    Peter, try disabling SYMTDI in Device Manager. Or if you have the Norton
    CD try uninstalling Norton temporarily.

    > Pulling the RAM cards didn't change anything. Was I supposed to try and
    > boot
    > it up without the ram?
    >
    > I went into the device manager and tried something different though. I
    > asked it to "show hidden devices" and there's actually something that
    > appears
    > to have a problem.
    >
    > It's "SYMTDI" under "Non Plug and Play drivers". I don't know what that
    > is.
    > I ran a Google search and found stuff about Norton Antivirus, which I
    > have... but I'm not sure what it has to do with XP not starting up... if
    > anything.

    I can only run in safemode, so I can't access the installer for Norton in
    order to uninstall it.

    I disabled the SYMTDI device, but that didn't do anything.

    Have you considered a Repair Installation? Hopefully you won't lose any
    data.

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    Brian

    >I can only run in safemode, so I can't access the installer for Norton in
    > order to uninstall it.
    >
    > I disabled the SYMTDI device, but that didn't do anything.

    That worked! I'm able to start XP normally now. Thanks.

    However, now it's spending several minutes on the blue screen before the
    login screen. The one that says "windows is loading" stays around forever,
    and there are no sounds coming from the box. Everything works... eventually.

    Run a Check Disk now to see if you have file errors or bad sectors on your
    HD.

    Brian

    > That worked! I'm able to start XP normally now. Thanks.
    >
    > However, now it's spending several minutes on the blue screen before the
    > login screen. The one that says "windows is loading" stays around
    > forever,
    > and there are no sounds coming from the box. Everything works...
    > eventually.

    I already did that.

    Sounds good then. I thought your HD may be failing. If the start process is
    still slow, try BootVis. It cut my boot time from 120 to 45 seconds, despite
    Microsoft saying that it doesn't do that.

    http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootvis.php

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/BootVis.shtml

    Brian

    >I already did that.

    Actually, I think the problem was solved by downloading all the necessary
    updates. But I'm looking into that bootvis program. Sounds very handy.
    Thanks!

    All the best.

    > Actually, I think the problem was solved by downloading all the necessary
    > updates. But I'm looking into that bootvis program. Sounds very handy.
    > Thanks!

Windows XP