IE6 super slow bringing up web pages

System: Windows XP SP2
P4 with 512MB RAM

Fully defraged; all temp files & cookies deleted; rebooted; no
firewall running; no virus checker running; Previous scans with MS
AntiSpyware, AdAware, Norton Virus Checker and The Cleaner all say the
system is clean.

I bring up Internet Explorer6 and type in a web site; any website and
there is exactly a 7 second delay before the site is resolved into its
IP address. Once that happens, my speedy cable modem brings up the
page with no problems.
This same problem is seen with the latest version of the Opera
browser.
However, if I load up FireFox browser (either version 1.0 or version
1.1) or even the old Netscape Communicator browser version 4.7, and
type in the same site, there is vitually no delay at all and the page
is on my screen in less then 1 second.
BUT, if I type in the site as its actual numerical IP address,
however, instead of its name, then Internet Explorer brings it to the
screen in about 1 sec. The 7 second delay is gone.

This seems to indicate that something is causing IE6 to experience a 7
second delay getting the information either to, or from, the DNS
server. But whatever is causing this, seems to have no effect on the
Firefox or Netscape Communicator browser.

The last piece to this puzzle is that my other computer (a P3 with
512MB RAM), also running Windows XP SP2, does NOT show this 7 second
delay with IE6!

I've tried opening a Command Prompt and typing: ipconfig/flushdns,
but this has had no effect on the problem noted above.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Internet Explorer but still the same
problem persists.

I've changed the settings in TCP/IP for the adapter from automatically
getting the DNS server, to actual DNS server addresses but this has
done nothing to solve this issue.

I've dozens of spyware detectors; virus checkers and HijackThis.
nothing shows up.

I've used msconfig to disable all startup items as well as win.ini
and system.ini but the delay is STILL there?

IF I boot the system into SAFE MODE with Network access however, IE6
works just fine with no delays of any kind.

Can anyone help me with this situation?
Has anyone else experienced this? It would not seem to be a SP2
problem since, as noted, my other machine is running SP2 and this
oddity is not there.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-related problems, or you receive an error message:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509