How to fix missing dvd drive in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
You are sort of asking about the device manager AND the BIOS?

Check the data cable to the drive, even try another cable and MB port. Power to the device? In the BIOS?

If none of the above the replace the drive.

artnstef

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Thanks Traildriver. This is on a compaq presario laptop which runs Vista 32 Bit. I have taken out the drive, re-seated it to no avail. I purchased a new drive and guess what? Same thing. I don't know if there is a cable that I could replace. I am at my wits end with this one. I am not a novice with these things as I was on the IBM team that developed the PC in 1981! But this one is weird.

artnstef

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I've replaced the drive but I'm not sure if there is a cable that I could replace on a compaq presario laptop. Is it possible that it has something to do with sp2 on Vista?

if the cd-rom drive and the mb controller are working the drive should show up in the bios. if all the ports are turned on. if it showing up in the bios and not windows it may be the cd-rom hi/low registry error got you or have damaged mb chipset drivers. if the laptop uses intel chipset try downloading the newest intel chipset drivers.

Hi :)

I own a lappy repair company....

FORGET windows...

The Bios is the important part here...

Bios showing the drive... its fine...

Bios NOT showing the drive its EITHER the drive itself....OR the drives motherboard controller...there is NO cable by the way...

Buy an external USB Dvd drive is the usual answer, as its a LOT cheaper than a new mobo....

All the best Brett :)

artnstef

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Brett, I guess it is the motherboard, the other day I was burning cd's to an external cd burner and guess what, the drive came alive, I burned a few disks, shut down, then came up again the next day and burned another disk and from that point on, it "died" again and I cannot revive it!

Status
Not open for further replies.