Hi everyone.
to cut a long story short (unless you want to hear it)
my computer has been put back to its original form (so factory form) every
program i had installed or downloaded the icons are there but they arent.
(taken me forever to delete the icons)

anyway since my computer is now back to the way it was when i brought it off
the shelf i have a few problems.
my computer came with xp home pre installed. but the retailer accidently
added an xp pro disc in the box so i got that free (hee hee)

i want to upgrade from xp home (pre installed) to the xp pro that i have on
disc is there anything that i need to know - i did it before and had no
problems but since my computer had to be fixed up to the point of being put
back to its original state im a bit more worried this time.so is there
anything important i need to know here???????????????????????

I also tried to add office 2003 last night from the cd but it said there was
an error installing it because my computer needed to be updated before
installation could take place. Fair enough then i went to update my computer
but when i go there my computer thinks for a moment and there is no updates
for my computer. in which i know is completely wrong because i dont even have
the service pack 1 installed anymore (original state dont)!!

i was wondering if that is the reason why office 2003 wont load and if so xp
pro comes with service pack 1 and if that would fix the problem?????
i really need office 2003 on the computer and it wont install because i need
to update but i cant update because my computer doesnt pick up any updates.
and yes i have automatic updates on and i changed the time for when i was
sitting on my computer last night and no it still didnt update.

trust me ive had huge problems to have to get my comptuer re fixed up to the
point that it has been.

please please help me someone
huge thanks in advance

Actually this is a good time to upgrade since you have a clean version of XP
Home. If you have a OEM version of XPPro
then you won't be able to upgrade. You will have to do a clean install
which again would be fine for the same reason.
You can check here for further info

"The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
> to cut a long story short (unless you want to hear it)
> my computer has been put back to its original form (so factory form) every
> program i had installed or downloaded the icons are there but they arent.
> (taken me forever to delete the icons)
>
> anyway since my computer is now back to the way it was when i brought it
> off
> the shelf i have a few problems.
> my computer came with xp home pre installed. but the retailer accidently
> added an xp pro disc in the box so i got that free (hee hee)
>
> i want to upgrade from xp home (pre installed) to the xp pro that i have
> on
> disc is there anything that i need to know - i did it before and had no
> problems but since my computer had to be fixed up to the point of being
> put
> back to its original state im a bit more worried this time.so is there
> anything important i need to know here???????????????????????
>
> I also tried to add office 2003 last night from the cd but it said there
> was
> an error installing it because my computer needed to be updated before
> installation could take place. Fair enough then i went to update my
> computer
> but when i go there my computer thinks for a moment and there is no
> updates
> for my computer. in which i know is completely wrong because i dont even
> have
> the service pack 1 installed anymore (original state dont)!!
>
> i was wondering if that is the reason why office 2003 wont load and if so
> xp
> pro comes with service pack 1 and if that would fix the problem?????
> i really need office 2003 on the computer and it wont install because i
> need
> to update but i cant update because my computer doesnt pick up any
> updates.
> and yes i have automatic updates on and i changed the time for when i was
> sitting on my computer last night and no it still didnt update.
>
> trust me ive had huge problems to have to get my comptuer re fixed up to
> the
> point that it has been.
>
> please please help me someone
> huge thanks in advance

i really dont know the difference between retail and oem - but last time i
installed it onto my computer - but even if it doesnt upgrade at least it
will still give me the service pack 1