Only starts in safe mode

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, Re-installed WinXp (5 times), installed and updated video, Zip drive,
audio, printer, mouse IDE controller, enabled Realtec Lan and Giga Lan in
BIOS.
Loaded Quicken, Palm Desktop, Norton and Turbo Tax. Booted, rebooted no
problem.
Installed SBC DSL, logged on no problem. Final step reboot.
The start up gets to the page where the three blue dots move from left to
right, the three dots stop after moving about 1/3 across. The computer will
then reboots and will only start in safe mode.
No conflicts in device manager, same start up with only System.ini and
Win.ini selected in msconfig. Cannot restore to an earlier time, tried, the
message indicates that restore will not work, nothing was changed. Created
restore points during installation, no go.
Any ideas??

--
Michael

can you actually get into safe mode or are you stuck in a loop.
if you can get into safe mode have you unticked safe boot in msconfig???

"Michael" wrote:

> Hi, Re-installed WinXp (5 times), installed and updated video, Zip drive,
> audio, printer, mouse IDE controller, enabled Realtec Lan and Giga Lan in
> BIOS.
> Loaded Quicken, Palm Desktop, Norton and Turbo Tax. Booted, rebooted no
> problem.
> Installed SBC DSL, logged on no problem. Final step reboot.
> The start up gets to the page where the three blue dots move from left to
> right, the three dots stop after moving about 1/3 across. The computer will
> then reboots and will only start in safe mode.
> No conflicts in device manager, same start up with only System.ini and
> Win.ini selected in msconfig. Cannot restore to an earlier time, tried, the
> message indicates that restore will not work, nothing was changed. Created
> restore points during installation, no go.
> Any ideas??
>
> --
> Michael

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

in msconfig Safe boot is unchecked, I am not in a loop.

"The Aussie Girl" wrote:

> can you actually get into safe mode or are you stuck in a loop.
> if you can get into safe mode have you unticked safe boot in msconfig???
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Re-installed WinXp (5 times), installed and updated video, Zip drive,
> > audio, printer, mouse IDE controller, enabled Realtec Lan and Giga Lan in
> > BIOS.
> > Loaded Quicken, Palm Desktop, Norton and Turbo Tax. Booted, rebooted no
> > problem.
> > Installed SBC DSL, logged on no problem. Final step reboot.
> > The start up gets to the page where the three blue dots move from left to
> > right, the three dots stop after moving about 1/3 across. The computer will
> > then reboots and will only start in safe mode.
> > No conflicts in device manager, same start up with only System.ini and
> > Win.ini selected in msconfig. Cannot restore to an earlier time, tried, the
> > message indicates that restore will not work, nothing was changed. Created
> > restore points during installation, no go.
> > Any ideas??
> >
> > --
> > Michael

ok michael sorry for asking stupid questions its just that i was stuck in a
loop because of safe mode only last week and i would have been able to help
you with that. Hopefully someone real soon has an answer for you :)

"Michael" wrote:

> in msconfig Safe boot is unchecked, I am not in a loop.
>
> "The Aussie Girl" wrote:
>
> > can you actually get into safe mode or are you stuck in a loop.
> > if you can get into safe mode have you unticked safe boot in msconfig???
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, Re-installed WinXp (5 times), installed and updated video, Zip drive,
> > > audio, printer, mouse IDE controller, enabled Realtec Lan and Giga Lan in
> > > BIOS.
> > > Loaded Quicken, Palm Desktop, Norton and Turbo Tax. Booted, rebooted no
> > > problem.
> > > Installed SBC DSL, logged on no problem. Final step reboot.
> > > The start up gets to the page where the three blue dots move from left to
> > > right, the three dots stop after moving about 1/3 across. The computer will
> > > then reboots and will only start in safe mode.
> > > No conflicts in device manager, same start up with only System.ini and
> > > Win.ini selected in msconfig. Cannot restore to an earlier time, tried, the
> > > message indicates that restore will not work, nothing was changed. Created
> > > restore points during installation, no go.
> > > Any ideas??
> > >
> > > --
> > > Michael

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the thought.

"The Aussie Girl" wrote:

> ok michael sorry for asking stupid questions its just that i was stuck in a
> loop because of safe mode only last week and i would have been able to help
> you with that. Hopefully someone real soon has an answer for you :)
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > in msconfig Safe boot is unchecked, I am not in a loop.
> >
> > "The Aussie Girl" wrote:
> >
> > > can you actually get into safe mode or are you stuck in a loop.
> > > if you can get into safe mode have you unticked safe boot in msconfig???

Feature: Safe Mode and System Restore
When to use it: If you used Last Known Good and your system is still not working.
What it does: Starts using only basic files and drivers (mouse, except serial mice; monitor; keyboard; mass storage; base video; default system services; and no network connections). If you are able to start the system in Safe Mode, you can then use System Restore to restore all system and application settings back to those that were in effect at at a time when your system was working optimally.
Available on: Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional.
For more information, see System Restore overview or Start the computer in safe mode.