networking laptop

hello, i have a microsoft wireless base station and i
just bought a new laptop with a built in lan. Im trying
to hook up the internet on it but it says i need a
network key. I have no idea what the network key is.
Please tell me how to find this key. I love you.
2 answers Last reply
More about networking laptop

    It would be whatever your base station is using. Go into the router
    management section and look up what the WEP or WPA key is being used. You
    need to use that on the laptop to get access.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hello, i have a microsoft wireless base station and i
    > just bought a new laptop with a built in lan. Im trying
    > to hook up the internet on it but it says i need a
    > network key. I have no idea what the network key is.
    > Please tell me how to find this key. I love you.

    You will need to be on the computer that is wired to your router.

    Open IE and go to http://192.168.2.1 and log in.

    Once logged in, place your cursor over the Security menu selection and then
    slide right (or left depending) to the Wireless Security selection and click
    on it.

    Your key will be listed on that page.

    Print or write down that key.

    Now, on your laptop, you need to open the software that serves your laptop's
    wireless card.

    Somewhere in there is the place to put that key.

    Good luck.

    Later,

    Randy

    "mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hello, i have a microsoft wireless base station and i
    > just bought a new laptop with a built in lan. Im trying
    > to hook up the internet on it but it says i need a
    > network key. I have no idea what the network key is.
    > Please tell me how to find this key. I love you.

Routers Laptops Networking Microsoft