FDISK /MBR Will save you headaches!!

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
I noticed that you have as your monogram FDISK reinstall.

Well that made me reply to your post in this manner.

Are you aware of the FDISK /MBR command. If you are constantly doing an FDISK then reinstalling windows I can tell you why right now why you could have a potential and hidden nasty problem

Using FDISK and reformatting your hard drive then reinstalling Windows DOES NOT completely clean the hard drive.
I will tell you why that is right now. ON ALL HARD DRIVES there is a little control chip it is called a EEPROM or a Electronically Erasable Programmable Rom chip.
This little chip also contains a MASTER boot record file for the hard drive.
If you have ever heard of a Virus called a MASTER BOOT RECORD VIRUS well this is where these viruses hide.
You could do a FDSIK and Format 50000 times and you will never get a FRESH install on any Windows Operating System.
What you need to do is make a WIN98 boot floppy from a place like www.bootdisc.com
Now after you do the standard FDSIK remove the old Physical partitions from the hard drive that's the magnetic platters.
YOU NEED to do a FDISK /MBR what this will do is clean the EEPROM chip controller on the hard drive.
To do this load up that Win98 floppy and boot the computer and hit F8 until you can select BOOT IN SAFE MODE yep boot the computer off the Win98 Floppy in SAFE MODE make sure the floppy is write protected.
Now once at a DOS prompt type in FDISK /MBR and let it run after it finishes do it 2 more times.
Now you have both wiped out the old partitions on the hard drive and cleaned any memory stored in the ROM chip that could contain a Master boot virus.
Now you can reboot and do a new FDISK. This function works for WIN95, 98 and Windows XP.
After a FDISK to clean the drive in XP simply use the floppy in safe mode to clean the ROM chip using FDISK /MBR then reboot the system with the Windows XP cd and it will allow you to format in the NTFS file format.
I tell you this because I hate to think of all the people out in the world that think they are repairing and replacing the Windows operating system simply using FDSIK to clean the hard drive and reload Windows. I know they all feel so good about having a BRAND NEW operating system because they think its bug free when in fact NO it has corrupted files possibly a master boot record virus hidden in the ROM Controller chip on the hard drive.
DO YOUR FDISK /MBR's guys it will lead you to a fresh clean install.

»§øЫÑighthåwk™ Don't get mad at the player get mad at the game. Hackers drool and Skill's rule.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: I noticed that you have as your monogram FDISK reinstall.

What are you going to keep pasting this stuff in all the threads? are you waiting for the guy with monogram FDISK reinstall to reply to you? If thats the case email the guy or at least address the guy in your post so others do not have to click your wrong category post.

If you want to build some credibility play by the rules and post your info where it belongs.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this
continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the
proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in
a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so
conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great
battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of
that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their
lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and
proper that we should do this. But in a larger sense, we cannot
dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground.
The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated
it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will
little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never
forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be
dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here
have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here
dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these
honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which
they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly
resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this
nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that
government of the people, by the people, for the people shall
not perish from the earth.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.