Your opinion.. plz.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I bought an alienware before i knew anything about computers. Well.. now that i know i was looking at my own motherboard after building a friends computer.. and realized it only has 4x agp card.
Well.. i have a 9800pro.. so this is cutting down my 9800 a lot.
So.. i need to know what the best possible 4x card there is for my slot.. in your opinion of course.

Since i am building myself a new AMD machine i will rather use the 9800 for that.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're seriously lost. AGP8x offers no improved performance over AGP4x on that card, leave the system together.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, BTW, the best RAM for the 533 bus CPU is RDRAM (PC1066 or RIMM4200), the best chipset for RDRAM is the i850E, and the i850E only has AGP4x. Any board with AGP8x would be slower on that CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I'm not terring this system apart. I want to build a amd machine to have another computer. More computers = more fun with friends. :)
I thought that the radeon utilized the 8x i guessed wrong.
I know this system is the best for what it is.. but i really want to have an overclockable AMD machine.
I want to learn more.. this seems the way to go to learn more. :)
I made the mistake in assuming the whole 8x/4x.. i am trying to read up on it.. but haven't found anything worthwhile on it.
So if you have any links to sites that will help i would apreciate it.
Thanks.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AGP8x was released before it was needed. This is the case with most standards. For example, a few years ago the TNT2 was AGP4x, yet 2 generations of cards went by before AGP4x actually had any advantage over AGP2x. That means by the time AGP8x is actually usefull, we'll already by on the PCI-Express standard instead.

Examples:
-ATA66 came out when drives were struggling to push 33MB/s.
-ATA100 came out when drives were struggling to push out 50MB/s
-ATA 133 came out when drives were struggling to push out 66MB/s
-SATA 150 is out now, the fastest drive available stuggles to push out 75MB/s
-AGP4x came out 3 years before it was usefull
-AGP8x came out last year, PCI-Express comes out next year, and the following year AGP8x will finally be usefull, but no longer mainstream.

Read Tom's, the Graphic Guide has some stuff pointing to this, probably around 8 months ago.

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
agp 8x WILL HVE DOUBLE THE PERFORMANCE OF 4x, ITS SIMPLE MATHS, ID GETY A GOOD MOBO WITH 8X TO GET BOUBLE THE PERFORMANCE ALSO GET A MOBO WITH DX9 INBUILT TO UTILISE THE AGP BOOST. DONT LISTEN TO THESE COMP DUDES HEWRE THEY HAVE LIMITED KNOWLEDGE...

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

toxicogen

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Why the hell should he listen to you? your the one who upgraded a Ti4200 with a R9600 and tried to see the dif in DX8 games!

And turn the bloody capslock off your anoying enough as it is, Troll.

If all else fails: Read The Manual

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
I love rramjet, once in a while it's funny to have somebody being a dumba$s.

-Intel PIV 2.6C @ 3.575G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 2x256 4000EL memory @ 275mhz 3-4-4-8 -Sapphire 9800np @ 432/760 -SB audigy -120G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 S-ATA150 hdd -450 Enermax PSU